engine light/ fuel tank

03camry

Could use some help. problem started couple weeks ago when filling up for gas pump was tapping out like it was full but it wasn't. no big deal just pumped it slower.then all of the sudden check engine light comes on. used my friends obd scanner and code p0441 evap system inncorrect purge flow detected came up.any advice on repair? where sould i start? not much knowledge on cars can't afford to take it to dealer.father in law told me to try here.before forking out hundreds of dollars wanted to get other peoples advice.thanks

Could use some help. problem started couple weeks ago when filling up for gas pump was tapping out like it was full but it wasn't. no big deal just pumped it slower.then all of the sudden check engine light comes on. used my friends obd scanner and code p0441 evap system inncorrect purge flow detected came up.any advice on repair? where sould i start? not much knowledge on cars can't afford to take it to dealer.father in law told me to try here.before forking out hundreds of dollars wanted to get other peoples advice.thanks

Sounds like the evaporative emissions canister is bad. There are also some valves that may be malfunctioning. I have the same problem with 2 of my 3 Toyotas. I am going to try and change the units myself this summer. They are near the gas tank. I have been looking for a guide for how to do it. At least my check engine light has not come on yet. This problem sometimes happens by the overfilling of the gas tank. When the gas pump stops do not top off the tank. This can lead to these problems.

Sounds like the evaporative emissions canister is bad. There are also some valves that may be malfunctioning. I have the same problem with 2 of my 3 Toyotas. I am going to try and change the units myself this summer. They are near the gas tank. I have been looking for a guide for how to do it. At least my check engine light has not come on yet. This problem sometimes happens by the overfilling of the gas tank. When the gas pump stops do not top off the tank. This can lead to these problems.

Thanks i'll check the valves first. then the cannister. haynes repair has a diagram on how to replace.

Thanks i'll check the valves first. then the cannister. haynes repair has a diagram on how to replace.

I just heard on Motor Week TV show that if you are having problems with the evap system, have the repair shop check the evap system with a smoke machine. Apparently many times the problem is due to a leak in the system, which can be hard to find without a smoke machine pumping pressurized smoke into the system which makes any leaks readily apparent. They also said that many times the problem is due to a bad gas cap. If is does not seal well you will get a "check engine light."