corolla gas guage

edteach

I just bought a toyota corolla, it is an 09 and the gas guage started to go up very slow from empty to full, it took 20 min. to reach full, then when the key is turned off it goes up to full in a snap.

I took the car in and the tech said that it was nothing they could find, and did a search of similar problems from toyota, they received and answer that the situation was normal for this car. I do not know if it is ture that it is normal. It did not do this for the first 3k of driving. any one else have this problem?

I just bought a toyota corolla, it is an 09 and the gas guage started to go up very slow from empty to full, it took 20 min. to reach full, then when the key is turned off it goes up to full in a snap.

I took the car in and the tech said that it was nothing they could find, and did a search of similar problems from toyota, they received and answer that the situation was normal for this car. I do not know if it is ture that it is normal. It did not do this for the first 3k of driving. any one else have this problem?

I know that there is dampening in the gas gauge which means that it responds somewhat slowly but not 20 minutes! On all my toyotas it might take 5 minutes after filling from empty to indicate completely full. This is normal. Sounds like there may be a problem. It seems like it is a defect to me. Although 20 minutes for ~13 gallons. That's about 1.5 minutes per gallon. This seems too slow but I doubt that it would cause you a problem. If you got 30mpg and drove 60 mph it would take 6.5 hours of driving to empty the tank. The gauge would easily keep up with that rate of emptying of the tank.

It does has not happened so far when going down or up. Only the one time. I am gong to keep an eye on it to see if it does not respond fast as I use gas. It does not even start to drop till arond 97 miles.