2024 Grand Highlander Audio

Rich Hedman

Looking for any tips/advice on the JBL 11-speaker premium audio.  Min includes a sub and a 1,200W amp.  I am thinking that I can get better sound performance if I change out the speakers with some better speakers at Crutchfield.  Anyone do this in previous models of the Highlander?  If so, would be interested in knowing what you did.

Also, it appears I can only adjust Bass, Treble, midrange, and fader.  Would like to have a more robust interface for precise sound adjustment.

• 4 months later...

Hey there - I'd like to chin on this conversation.

I'm very interested in purchasing this vehicle but I want the Limited Hybrid and NOT the Hybrid Max that is shown in all of the video reviews.  The reason is simple - superior gas mileage.  I'm not a performance guy and don't intend on towing with the vehicle. 

My question involves the cabin noise.  I've read that the Grand Highlander suffers from cabin noise and this is especially true of the Limited Hybrid.  I'm hoping to soundproof the vehicle so that the cabin is more quiet inside.  Has anyone had experience with this, and if so, did it make a difference?  Most of my driving is highway (not city), so I'd also be interested in experiences with the sound levels for both types of driving.

Finally, I plan to upgrade the music system in the vehicle.  My primary complaint is that the subwoofer is located in the very back of the car (where my two dogs will be riding).  I'd like to move the subwoofer up into the second row or under the first row.  I also might consider an audio amplifier. 

So I'm interested in upgrading the Grand Highlander and like the OP, would welcome tips on what is necessary vs. nice to have.

Thank

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/27/2023 at 1:07 PM, Jazzman said:

Hey there - I'd like to chin on this conversation.

I'm very interested in purchasing this vehicle but I want the Limited Hybrid and NOT the Hybrid Max that is shown in all of the video reviews.  The reason is simple - superior gas mileage.  I'm not a performance guy and don't intend on towing with the vehicle. 

My question involves the cabin noise.  I've read that the Grand Highlander suffers from cabin noise and this is especially true of the Limited Hybrid.  I'm hoping to soundproof the vehicle so that the cabin is more quiet inside.  Has anyone had experience with this, and if so, did it make a difference?  Most of my driving is highway (not city), so I'd also be interested in experiences with the sound levels for both types of driving.

Finally, I plan to upgrade the music system in the vehicle.  My primary complaint is that the subwoofer is located in the very back of the car (where my two dogs will be riding).  I'd like to move the subwoofer up into the second row or under the first row.  I also might consider an audio amplifier. 

So I'm interested in upgrading the Grand Highlander and like the OP, would welcome tips on what is necessary vs. nice to have.

Thank

I have the non-hybrid version of the GH.  Platinum trim level.  Copmpared to my 2015 RAV4, the road noise is like night and day - the GH is much quieter.  However, I am also thinking of installing sound deadening matting in the doors and floors.  

As for the sound system, here is what I posted on a different forum site yesterday:
"My issue is that the sound system only allows for adjustment of treble, bass, balance and fade. Not nearly enough tuning for a "premium" sound system with an amp, sub, and 10 speakers. The GH Platinum sound system is truly a joke for a car that costs $60-$70k. To be honest I'm extremely disappointed with the sound. So I called Crutchfield when I first got the car back in August to see if they could come to the rescue but they hadn't done their deconstruction of the car to determine which amp/equalizer/signal processor/speakers work best. Called again this week and still no info.

"I honestly believe I'll need a new, more powerful amp to replace the weak 25w amp that sits in the back on the left of the spare tire. And I'll also need to replace all 10 speakers and the sub. Looking at the Alpine PXE-C80-88 (Alpine PXE-C80-88) to take care of the underpowered amp and lackluster tuning issues, but the reviews for this one are mixed. Anyone have any other suggestions for an amp with integrated digital signal processing (DSP)?

"For the speakers, I'll get some decent ones through Crutchfield that compliment whatever amp/DSP I choose. Overall, I am very disappointed that to get good sound out of a "premium" system I will need to invest another $2k or so."

I think overall I will eventually change the sound by installing upgraded equipment while keeping the head unit (don't have much of a choice there).  But overall, very happy with the care, sans the sound.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2024 at 5:52 AM, Rich Hedman said:

I have the non-hybrid version of the GH.  Platinum trim level.  Copmpared to my 2015 RAV4, the road noise is like night and day - the GH is much quieter.  However, I am also thinking of installing sound deadening matting in the doors and floors.  

As for the sound system, here is what I posted on a different forum site yesterday:
"My issue is that the sound system only allows for adjustment of treble, bass, balance and fade. Not nearly enough tuning for a "premium" sound system with an amp, sub, and 10 speakers. The GH Platinum sound system is truly a joke for a car that costs $60-$70k. To be honest I'm extremely disappointed with the sound. So I called Crutchfield when I first got the car back in August to see if they could come to the rescue but they hadn't done their deconstruction of the car to determine which amp/equalizer/signal processor/speakers work best. Called again this week and still no info.

"I honestly believe I'll need a new, more powerful amp to replace the weak 25w amp that sits in the back on the left of the spare tire. And I'll also need to replace all 10 speakers and the sub. Looking at the Alpine PXE-C80-88 (Alpine PXE-C80-88) to take care of the underpowered amp and lackluster tuning issues, but the reviews for this one are mixed. Anyone have any other suggestions for an amp with integrated digital signal processing (DSP)?

"For the speakers, I'll get some decent ones through Crutchfield that compliment whatever amp/DSP I choose. Overall, I am very disappointed that to get good sound out of a "premium" system I will need to invest another $2k or so."

I think overall I will eventually change the sound by installing upgraded equipment while keeping the head unit (don't have much of a choice there).  But overall, very happy with the care, sans the sound.

Thanks for sharing Rich.  Yep - I'm planning on upgrading the audio in my TGH as well.  I haven't purchased one yet but plan to next year (unless I'm just blown away by the Hyundai Palisades Hybrid or the KIa Telluride Hybrid (the Hyundai is scheduled for 2025 but the Kia is still up in the air).  My girlfriend drives the RAV=4 and has the "premium" JBL but it has only rudimentary controls (as you point out) and there is only one woofer at the back of the vehicle.  My understanding is that a woofer should be placed closer to the driver and an external amp is a serious upgrade.  You now have me thinking also about upgrading the speaker system too.

Regards sound proofing, I've seen videos of soundproofing in the doors, beneath the floor mats and even under the hood.  Supposedly there are shops in Europe that do this all the time, but here in the States, its mostly car audio shops that make this happen.  My understanding is that once done, the sound proofing is more noticeable when driving on highways but that in town the result was marginal. 

Thanks for recommending an amp - I'll definitely check that one out.