2003 Highlander front wheel noisy

LOBO

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here. I just purchased a 2003 Highlander 6V AWD Limited with 55,000 Mls few days ago.

The front wheels are quite noisy when I drive the car slow on the street or on highway. I took it to my mechanic and he told me it's the tire that's making the noise, the noise will go away once I replace the tires.

Has anyone experienced this kinda problem? Somehow I feel the sound was coming from the axle, not the tires? Can someone help on this, Thank you.

Oh, and will I get charged from dealer just to have them take a look?

To webmaster: Please delete the post I put up in "Wheels and Tyres" section. It seemed there are too few people reading in that section.

It could very, very easily be the tires. The problem with tires is that there isn't really one tire that will do everything. If you get a long-lasting tire, like a 60,000 mile tire, it's harder and will be noisier and not handle as well; if you get a performance tire, it'll have softer rubber and will wear out sooner. Most of the tires that are installed at the factory are a softer tire built for a better, quieter ride.

The previous owner probably already replaced the original tires because I can't imagine them lasting past about 30,000 miles, and they obviously went for long life instead of any other factors.

About the dealer: yes, they will most likely charge you because they still have to pay a trained technician to spend time with your car.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That's a possibility. Wheel bearings are pretty noisy. Did you try the tires yet?

The place we bought the tires said the tires were fine. Should we believe them? We're taking it to the dealer to be checked out. I'm hoping this is still under warranty. We have a 2005 Highlander and the booklet says powertrain warranty is 60,000 miles/60 months, whichever comes first.

They could be perfect functional tires...just noisy. If that's the case, you have to decide if you can live with the noise, or if you want to spring for a new set.

Unfortunately, anything relating to wheels/tires/suspension, etc. is NOT "powertrain". That will almost certainly not be covered...sorry. :(

They could be perfect functional tires...just noisy. If that's the case, you have to decide if you can live with the noise, or if you want to spring for a new set.

Unfortunately, anything relating to wheels/tires/suspension, etc. is NOT "powertrain". That will almost certainly not be covered...sorry. :(

Whew! We lucked out. Dealer said it is the front hub and bearings and will be covered under warranty. The Warranty booklet is a little confusing. It states:

Powertrain Warranty

This warranty covers repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed in the next column and supplied by Toyota, subject to the exceptions indicated under "What is Not Covered" on pages 11-12.

Coverage is for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The info listed in the "next column" is listed below:

Engine...blah blah

Transmission and Transaxle...blah blah

Front-Wheel-Drive System: Final drive housing and all internal parts, axle shafts, drive shafts, constant velocity joints, front hub and bearings, seals and gaskets.

Rear-Wheel-Drive System...blah blah

Well, the noise is really annoying...sounds like the vehicle is ready to be airborn!

Hopefully, we'll have our Highlander back to it's old self again soon. :D