P0011, P0015 and P0016, replaced position sensors (and more).....won't start

sandhazrd

My daughter's 2009 Corolla 1.8 2ZR-FE engine with 179,000 miles threw the three codes in the title.  It lost most of its power but still stumbled along for about a mile until she could safely park it, then wouldn't restart.  I went to what was most obvious based on the codes, replacing both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensor.  (I should mention that it has a 1 year old exhaust side cam phaser in it, replaced by Toyota.  It was giving the knocking sound on startup, so we caught it before it completely failed.)  I should also mention we did a head gasket on this about a month before this new problem came along.  After replacing all the cam and crank position sensors, I checked both the VVT solenoids/oil valves to be sure they were clean and working when power was applied to them.  I had the valve cover off to check and be sure the timing was in the correct position as well, which it was.  While it was off, I did a compression test, just as a precaution because we recently replaced the head gasket, also this was checked to confirm my timing was correct.  Compression was consistent on all cylinders at about 125-130PSI.  While turning it over to check the compression, I did see oil coming up the filler tubes for the VVT so I know its getting oil.  Oil level is correct and all fluids look perfect, no cross contamination.  Everything is back together and it won't start.  Since timing, compression and spark all seemed correct, we started moving to fuel.  Our theory was that our fuel pump may have been getting weak and the lean condition sent the VVT so far out of wack that the ECM shut down the engine to avoid damage, thinking something broke in the VVT.  We replaced the fuel pump this week, with no success.  Since there's no schrader valve on the fuel rail, we couldn't test the amount of fuel pressure we're getting, but when we unbolt the fuel rail, there is obvious pressure being held on the injectors by the new pump.  We are also getting the full 12v to the fuel pump when cranking the engine.  All injectors were cleaned when we did the head gasket work a month before this happened, so we can't imagine all four injectors could be plugged.  Sticking with the fuel theory, we've tried starting it with starter fluid sprayed into the intake manifold and it doesn't even act like we've changed anything.  That moved us away from the fuel theory.  We've had the battery unplugged multiple times, sometimes for days on end, so the ECM should be sufficiently reset and it should be working from a blank slate.  I can't imagine the computer is keeping the engine from starting, but that's about the only thing I can think of now.  It should start but simply will not.  It stutters a few times when we crank it for a while, but never enough to give us hope that its really starting.  With good compression, correct timing, strong spark, fuel and air, what am I missing?  I can't see why this won't start.  Can we just go back to cars that weren't run by computers?  :-)