New Camry Owner

Hi all. I'm not new to Toyota I was actually a retired Toyota Master tech, but not on cars or trucks, but Forklifts, my specialty was the electric trucks. 

My wife and I live in the California Sierra foothills so we have some pretty twisty roads up here. To be honest I'm totally blown away by this car, the handling is incredible, the fuel mileage is also outstanding. I once had a 66 Corvette and this Camry handles better than that old Corvette did. 

Just because I worked for Toyota dealers for many years isn't why I purchased the Camry, we actually looked at other cars, to me, nothing else came close for us.

One issue I have is the insistence on 0-16 motor oil. My understanding has always been that oil viscosity is always based on the environment the vehicle is operating in. Example when we had customers with Gas/LP trucks that operated in freezers we recommended 0-20 oil, otherwise we recommended 10-30 due to the California heat in the summers. I will say it is always best to follow the manufacturers recommendations, but the oil requirement does confuse me. 

I was asked why I didn't go with a Hybrid since I was an electric forklift tech. Well first of all the technology is the same but much different. I do like the fact they put regenitive braking on the hybrid. For me I'm not totally sold on Litho batteries yet, but that is just me, and I know they have come a long ways in the development.  

I did purchase the extended warranty because even though it is pricy; major maintenance can get real expensive, so I felt is was a good insurance policy. 

Since I'm 73 years old this will most likely be my last car because I drive them until their antiques. 

To Toyota; Great job on the Camry, just love it. Hope there is no engineered failure in it. LOL

• Like 1

Hi....welcome to the Club

The Camry is a superb car along with the rest of the Toyota range and they have been running hybrid for long enough now to say that its perfectly reliable, tried and tested (including Le Mans 24 Hours).

The oil specs, I would probably go with what the local dealer is putting in the engine, again as you say it is based on regional temperatures, etc.

Good to have you onboard!