Performance

cheese

I have a 96 corolla that i use to go snowboarding. It struggles on the hills and i was wondering if there was anything i could do to increase the power. I don't have much money or else i would just buy a faster car. Just any advice would help, even if it's don't worry about it. I definately don't want anything that will decrease the life of the engine significantly, since it's my only car. It's the 7afe 1.8 litre engine if that makes a difference.

I have a 96 corolla that i use to go snowboarding. It struggles on the hills and i was wondering if there was anything i could do to increase the power. I don't have much money or else i would just buy a faster car. Just any advice would help, even if it's don't worry about it. I definately don't want anything that will decrease the life of the engine significantly, since it's my only car. It's the 7afe 1.8 litre engine if that makes a difference.

If its your only car, don't touch it. Check the oil often. When these cars get old they can start to burn oil, then it accelerates.

My 94 corolla 7afe has over 203,000 miles, everything original. I get a good 33 to 39 mpg+!

If and when you are able to pull the engine and modify, many people put pistons and head from 4age engines, particularly from the 87-89 MR2 red top 4age.

Also you can swap a 4agze (supercharged) engine from 88-89 MR2 supercharged. "A" engines are cross compatible for mounts and transmissions.

When I go up the mountains, I put the RPMs at 4500 to 5000; that's where peak power is. I got a manual. If you have an automatic, from a low speed, try to lock it in a lower gear. Prolonged peak output is hard on the engine, and especially an AUTO transmission, which can overheat when climbing.

This is an amazing engine for longevity and great MPG. Because its longer stroke compared to the 1.6 4A, it has strong torque and low end response. Take care of it and it will go forever. Weak power in mountains is a problem with all cars due to altitude. Any mods would destroy your fuel economy.

Dru

Meh. Thats what i figured. I just got a new engine with 82k on it and i was thinking maybe some new headers and exhaust might help. Checking the oil is really important since thats why it got a new engine, so i know what you mean. I guess i'll just leave it in that case since i definately don't have enough for a turbo, blower, or a new engine. Thanks for the advice.