98 camry weird idle

Naz

When I turn on the car after its been warmed up/driven recently, it will sometimes but not all the time start to idle weird. Normally since its warm/been driven the car will idle at about 750RPM which is has been doing normally eversince i bought the car in 1998. But recently it would go between 750-850 as in literally bounce between those two speeds consistantly, as if i'm tapping on the gas every second. After a minute or so of doing this it completly goes away, or if i shift out of park it will completly go away. The temperature outside when this is happens is usually between 50-60 degrees, and this is happeing right after a harsh winter of a few months of almost everynight being below freezing.

It sounds as if the car thinks its too cold to be idleing that low so it tries to idle at a higher level (i'v seen 3 zones of idleing 750 1100 & 1400RPM) then stops and lets off the throttle letting it drop back down to the lowest idle then continuing to try and go to a higher level again. Any ideas of what this is would be very helpful.

• 1 month later...
I'd start by cleaning the throttle body and Idle Air Control valve (IAC).

My 98 Camry has intermittent uneven idle problem also. Feels like the car is close to stalling when at stoplite.

Fuel and Induction systems have been cleaned by Toyota dealer. Problem is still there. Seems to be ocurring more frequently. Been doing this for a couple years.

Problem usually goes away after nailing the throttle to the floor and running the revs up on an open road or after stopping for a while and restarting.

EGR, IAC, ????

My Camry used to do that too...turned out to be just the fuel filter, no big deal.

Fuel filter replaced. Problem unchanged. It used to have the idle problems once or twice a year. Now about every other day.

I have a genuine Camry manual. What tests are recommended to check the IAC and EGR valve?

98 Camry 3.0. 97k miles

Made a trip this weekend, about 800 miles.

Experienced the idle problem most of the time, about 60 miles of our return the idle problem went away. Especially annoying with the cruise control on while going down a hill.

Perfomance, gas mileage was otherwise great.

Where should I start with troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks

Hmmm...not sure...

Stevelaw? Any thoughts?

With the vacuum to the EGR valve disconnected and plugged, the problem goes away, stays away.

I have removed the EGR valve and pipe and inspected them - very clean, no chunks when flushed with carb cleaner.

EGR strokes smoothly with vacuum pump when cool or hot.

EGR postition sensor ohms are in Toyota's spec.

Do these valves have a history of sticking intermittently??

With the car running at hot idle and just barely opening the EGR valve with my vacuum pump, I get pretty much the same stumbling idle that is "the problem"

Would you replace this otherwise clean/working EGR valve? or the Sensor or Both?

Thanks

• 2 months later...