Fair Price

85_pickup

First, let me explain myself. I registered on this forum because (if things go right), I will be the owner of a 1985 toyota pickup. However, it will take some serious negoiating.

The truck, has 337,000 miles. It is 2WD. The engine was rebuilt somewhere between 10 and 25,000 miles ago. It has brand new tires on it. It has no stereo, but A/C appears to be installed. Everything else is stock- so it appears. The engine is the 22R Carb, with a 5-speed tranny (updated from 4-speed?). It has a 2" receiver hitch already mounted. The bed is pretty banged up- but overall is good.

The person is asking 900 obo. I called and he refused to sell for under 750. I am currently thinking 500 or even up to 550 . I have 700, but need money left over for an inspection by my mechanic and a stereo (i commute). He told me if it hadn't sold in a week (This Wednesday), I should call again and he might sell it for less.

So, I need to know a few things:

How is the overall reliability of this truck?

Is 500/550 a reasonable price?

What generally breaks down in these trucks before the 300,000 mile mark?

Thanks in advance

Overall reliability of that vehicle is excellent. Toyota pickups will easily attain 500k, assuming they're properly taken care of. If the body is in good shape (ie, not rusted through, no major bodywork), the air blows cold, and it's in good running condition, the $900 he's asking is not unrealistic. The $700 he may consider is a good deal, considering it'll probably last you another 100k.