What is best for VVTi

chammi@xA

Hi All,

My Toyota ist (Japanese ver.) (Scion xA) (year 2004) has a VVTi engine. having problems with changing the engine oil. Some r telling Fully-synthetic is the best and some say "No" since it's not a racing version and Semi-synthetic is the best. what is the best solution?? Is there any other oil to consider???

:(

• 1 year later...

Regular oil is fine for your daily driver.

Semi - syn is good if you want extended oil change intervals or drive hard on your vehicle.

Full syn. is a bit overkill, but an excellent peace of mind investment.

I vaguely remember having problems when I put synthetic in a VVT-i car. Don't remember what it was, but this discussion stirs up bad memories. Maybe someone could research this?

Okay here goes.

Was using regular dino oil for about a year.

Switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic (yes i heard that Mobil 1 may be using Group 3 rumors, don't believe the rumors myself), immediately noticed smoother operation, ease of acceleration, & maybe better fuel economy.

That is my personal experience & research.

I have a 1zz-fe motor with VVT-i.

I used to have a Corolla GTS with the 4a-ge motor.

Same results/experience.

• 15 years later...
On 1/25/2007 at 10:38 PM, chammi@xA said:

Hi All,

My Toyota ist (Japanese ver.) (Scion xA) (year 2004) has a VVTi engine. having problems with changing the engine oil. Some r telling Fully-synthetic is the best and some say "No" since it's not a racing version and Semi-synthetic is the best. what is the besteps it lubrication solution?? Is there any other oil to consider???

😞

Go with full synthetic it keeps it lubricating properties longer,and remember the change interval is more important