2021 Venza Gas Tank Problem

BradGK

On 12/9/2021 at 10:24 AM, RocketAppliances said:

Same thing for me, most I've been able to put in is about 11 gallons, and that was with DTE in the single digits.

Seems like a fairly common problem, Toyota should acknowledge this like they have for the RAV4.

And  when I called to report the same problem they pretended that they were unaware of the issue and like i was the only one that called about it  as if  i am stupid

Edited by SiverSurfer
typo

• 1 month later...

I bought 2022 Venza LE 3 days ago. Yesterday it’s was showing 3/4 of the tank after drivin about 190 miles. It showed about 350 miles to empty. Today I drove additional 40 miles and the tank shows as full! Over 450 miles to empty! Nobody has filled the tank. And when I drive in in Echo mode it’s shows 54 MPG! 
Idk what’s going on. The fuel grows in the tank. Taking it to service tomorrow. Very upsetting. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I purchased 2022 Limited with all the bells and whistles, and lets just say I am not happy. I have the exact same fueling issue. Vehicle has service appt this week. I commute to work is the reason I purchased this vehicle, but it's starting to feel like a huge mistake and waste of hard earned money. I thought it was only me until I found this thread. Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 3/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, BradGK said:

2021 Toyota Venza Hybrid Limited  

Fuel gauge and fuel tank do not operate properly, like the 2020 & 2021 Rav 4 gas tank problem.

On 2/8/21 when the gauge indicated 1/2 tank, I put in 9.997 gal of gas, since this car only has a 14 1/2 gal tank the tank could not have been 1/2 full.

On 2/14/21 The gauge read 2/3, Odometer read 2504. I pumped gas and the pump shut off at 1.1 gal, I slowly added gas as the pump kept clinking off till I got a total of 1.743 gal of gas into the tank. I started the engine and the gas gauge still read 2/3, so I started the gas pump again slowly added another 1.287 gal of gas. I started the car again and the gauge still read 2/3 full. I left the gas station and after driving approx. 4 miles the gauge suddenly went up above the full mark.

On 2/27/21 Gauge was at ½, I pumped 7.528 gal till full vehicle odometer was at 2754 miles. This time that seemed to be correct, Miles driven since last fill up was 250 miles. Miles per gallon this time would have been 33.21 mpg.

On 3/15 21 Gauge was at 1/3 odometer was at 3111, I could only put in 6.477 gallons of gas till pump kept shutting off, gauge went to full. The tank could not have been full the gauge only read 1/3 before filling and the vehicle had been driven 357 miles since last fill up. This means the gas mileage was 55.12 mpg this time.

The gas gauge on this 2021 Toyota Venza cannot be trusted, it seems to be a guessing game as to how much gas is really in the fuel tank.

I talked to one person at the local toyota service center and was told that the gas tank was the same part number as the ones being replaced on the Rav4 Hybrids for the problem of the tanks not filling properly and the gas gauge not operating properly, but nothing can be done until Toyota finds that there is a problem and sends out instructions (TSB) to repair or replace the defective parts. The 2021 Rav 4 Hybrid has been added to the list for replacement of the defective parts, and my 2021 Venza Hybrid Limited should be added to the list for repair also.

After spending over $43,000 for a new vehicle this should not be a problem customers should have to be concerned about. The other problem is due to the gauge and tank problem the miles remaining display is always wrong.

We had a problem with our gas door won’t open dealer said to drive with door open for month till they get part to fix. Well we went get gas the gas gauge read 1/2 tank I put in 5 gallons and needle never moved and miles to empty never change.  Took dealer and he said never saw this problem it should go away. Not a good answer for someone who spent 41 thousand dollars for an xle Venza. I was told I can’t escalate it to Toyota corporate and I can’t get through or a number to call this is ridiculous thanks Larry 

Please did anyone have any luck resolving this , dealers say Toyota won’t do anything until it happens three times. We broke down on vacation few months ago car wouldn’t start, we called Toyota cares and they came jumped us. Told us to take it to dealer asap. We went local dealer he said take it back where you bought it unless you want wait till next week. Assured us car is ok but go buy a jumper.  Took my dealer had wait week he had no help and said nothing wrong. If it happens three times we can notify Toyota well I think Toyota needs hear this if they do and don’t care time buy another type vehicle 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

My fuel tank was usually filling up at the 12.9 gallons from empty but recently after having the car in the body shop etc.. There was a problem with the repair that the exhaust pipes and the battery etc was reinstalled improperly. Since then, the tank is lower than advertised, the mpg has went down to mid 20s from about 40 or so mpg. I am guessing something weird is going on but the specifics are not clear. A toyota certified shop has offered the explanation as related to the other issues due to inefficiencies and problems with repair of car or I would say sabotage knowing the people responsible. In any case, the car is otherwise an excellent drive with excellent mileage often surpassing my expectations though some design modifications can be made for improvement. I will post an update if they figure out the problem. 

My fuel tank was usually filling up at the 12.9 gallons from empty but recently after having the car in the body shop etc.. There was a problem with the repair that the exhaust pipes and the battery etc was reinstalled improperly. Since then, the tank is lower than advertised, the mpg has went down to mid 20s from about 40 or so mpg. I am guessing something weird is going on but the specifics are not clear. A toyota certified shop has offered the explanation as related to the other issues due to inefficiencies and problems with repair of car or I would say sabotage knowing the people responsible. In any case, the car is otherwise an excellent drive with excellent mileage often surpassing my expectations though some design modifications can be made for improvement. I will post an update if they figure out the problem. 

• 2 months later...

Our low fuel warning indictor light came on recently with the miles remaining estimating at 45 miles. 

I drove another 50 miles and filled the tank with 11.1 gal., automatic pump shutoff. 

Curiously the electronic display quit reporting the usual information, such as estimate of driving miles related.

I've presumed this was how the software was written so as to avoid saying car will go another 50 miles and having it run out leaving you stranded. I won't complain about that considering the problems of measuring fluid levels in a moving vehicle. But I was surprised. This confirms my safe practice of generally keeping the tank above the 1/2 full mark.

Wonder how the similar Lexus SUV gage performs?  Overall we have found the Venza's power unit impressive.

I will inform dealership of the issue.