engine swap

vermonter

I have two Corollas. One is a 94 with a bad engine and a great body, the other is a 93 with a good engine and a badly rusted body. I want to switch engines, but the 94 is a 1.6 liter and the 93 is a 1.8 liter. Does anyone know whether this swap is easy/feasible/crazy? If it's possible, what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Thanks...

I have two Corollas. One is a 94 with a bad engine and a great body, the other is a 93 with a good engine and a badly rusted body. I want to switch engines, but the 94 is a 1.6 liter and the 93 is a 1.8 liter. Does anyone know whether this swap is easy/feasible/crazy? If it's possible, what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Thanks...

I don't remember exactly what year the bodystyle changed on the Corollas, but I do know the ones in 1995-1996 range had both a 1.6 liter and a 1.8 liter engine available. I imagine it won't be much of a stretch to swap the two motors. It may just bolt right in if you're lucky!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks...

The 93-97 US Spec rollas are basically the same. There are minor differences in the engine bay set up. The best idea is to get a Chilton or Haynes (or better yet, a toyota corolla dealer repair manual disc) and work from there. The 4a and 7a (1.6 and 1.8) are identical bothers (except the displacement and engine size) and should be a direct swap.

I would check with the main guy at www.phoenixtuning.com for more details.