1993 Toyota Camry engine running hot.

speshlj

have a 1993 Toyota Camry with 160K miles. In August my car temp redlined (5 people in the car, going up a hill with the a/c on), so I had the radiator checked/replaced. I also had the water pump/timing belt changed since it was about that time. 2 months later I had the power steering pump replaced because it was making noises when the car was cold or when the wheel was fully turned. I don't know if it's coincidence, but a day or two later I noticed my car was starting to run hot, but will go back down.

The dashboard temp gauge never would go above 40% up the gauge and suddenly it's going as high as 60%, but not near redlining. This really only happened in traffic, driving slow, or on hills. On the highway it was fine. Within a month, it's coming closer to redlining, more frequently, not just in traffic. The last hour of a 230 mile trip it would get a little hot (60% to red)on the highway when going uphill. I topped off the radiator AND added a little to the resevoir, however combined I may have added 10oz. of liquid MAX. The car didn't get hot for 2 days and then it went back to the same routine. It has come very close to the red, but usually drops back down just before it hits it. The problems tend to start happening after I've been driving the car for atleast 20 minutes.

Now my mechanic replaced the thermostat (and gasket), cooling fan sensor/switch, temp sensor/guauges, and added new antifreeze. However, after 2 days, it's gone above half several times again after driving the car over an hour. I'm fearing in a few weeks/days, it's going to get back into that same problem. It's never overheated, but it never acted this way before. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

are you talking about a "widebody" camry. I have one of them and in my car (3VZ-FE) the engine coolant slowly spins the fan when the car is idling

DSC00009.jpg

the above pics shows where the coolant goes in and out of the fan. (sorry I couldn't get more detail) and while my car is idling / cold the fan spins at the rate of the coolant being pumped tho the pipes. once the engine gets warm, it switches.

I think its a themostat issue. also, when was the last time the coolant was changed? I noticed a drop in temprature after i changed mine :)

Hope that helps

If you let the car sit at idle, do the fans come on? Do they come on if you turn on the A/C?

yeah, the fans come on when i put on the a/c. i also have the stalling problem from a post on the uk forum. car didn't stall from may until just recently. it only stalls in cold weather once the car is warm. My ignition coil (or whatever that coil is called) was tested fine. I replaced the ECT, new alternator, new battery, etc... My mechanic thinks it's the idle valve but i'm not fixing it until the overheating is def gone. It's been 4 days and the temp has been good but it did rise a bit once already, not that high, but higher than normal. The stalling is so infrequent, I can deal with it. The idle can def be rough, esp after restarting the car after it was driven for over half hour. ughhhhhhh. I love my camry, still drives great but is starting to cause me headaches.

are you talking about a "widebody" camry. I have one of them and in my car (3VZ-FE) the engine coolant slowly spins the fan when the car is idling

the above pics shows where the coolant goes in and out of the fan. (sorry I couldn't get more detail) and while my car is idling / cold the fan spins at the rate of the coolant being pumped tho the pipes. once the engine gets warm, it switches.

I think its a themostat issue. also, when was the last time the coolant was changed? I noticed a drop in temprature after i changed mine :)

Hope that helps

I have the 4 cyl xle model. not sure if it's a wide body. i had new coolant put in over the summer, then realized my 6 year old radiator was leaking and had it done all over again. my temp has def dropped since i replaced the thermostat, but i'm scared this fix is only temporary since I've noticed the temp fluxuating a bit once already after the car had been driven for an hour in traffic.

thanks for the help.

Justin

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Camry.

Have you considered the head gasket?

is that diff than the thermostat gasket? how much does it cost to replace? i'm really on the verge of getting a new car. but i love having an old reliable car, especially in NYC. No one wants to steal it, key it, steal from it, etc.... And if someone bumps me or scratches me parking, I give them a big smile and tell them not to worry about it. Once I get a new car, a whole new type of stress will come my way. sucks, i can't even afford a corolla now that i'm a govt employee. :-(

If it's a head gasket, it'll be a bit more than the thermostat gasket. It's the big gasket that goes on the actual motor head...it involves some motor disassembly, but it's a fairly simple job. Figure about $100 for the part, maybe less. Labor is where it'll get expensive.

There is a big upside to an old car. In my Lexus or my Porsche, I park way out in the parking lot, and as far as possible from any car that could possibly give me a door ding (and as far as possible from grocery carts!). I steer very carefully away from curbs, potholes, etc. so I don't damage the wheels, and I don't take them through carwashes that have tracks or brushes. I try not to put a lot of miles on them so they don't depreciate as rapidly, and I'd just about be in tears if I ever got a stone chip, small scratch, or a windshield chip.

In my old Camry, it didn't matter...I'd park in a dirt parking lot, or very close to beat-up old cars if the parking spot happened to be convenient, drive 200 miles on a whim, speed bumps and potholes were irrelevant, and I'd wash it only occasionally at the cheap car wash. If I got another paint chip, I didn't care...maybe I'd touch it up if I got bored one day. It was great!!

• 7 months later...