Recommended Motor Oil

Saxon

Just go by whatever your manual states. Using synth should be fine as well. If you have any general oil related questions, you should head on over to bobistheoilguy.com. You'll have more info about motor oil than you can shake a stick at.

• 2 weeks later...

What motor oils are preferred in the 4.7 V8 engine?

I know it needs to be 5-30 viscosity.

Which oil does Toyota use?

I am also considering synthetic oil.

Thanks

If you choose to use Amsoil, a full synthetic, you can change your oil every year or 25,000 miles, but you need to change out the Amsoil oil filter every six months or 12,500 miles.

If you use Amsoil with the aircraft adapter filtration system you can run the vehicle without ever changing oil. You just change the full flow filter every six months and the aircraft bypass filter once a year and top off with new Amsoil.

With Amsoil's second option I usually run my vehicles about 400,000 miles without oil change and no engine maintenance other than timing belts, other belts & hoses as needed. Oh, and I use the K&N air filter which needs to be cleaned every 100,000 miles and is good for 500,000 miles. The K&N air filters are sold at Toyota Dealerships.

Pipsqueak

Oh, it just occured to me that some well intentioned uninformed person may challenge this application by saying it would void the warrantee.

NOPE

According to the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1974 ANY aftermarket application can be used as long as it meets OR exceeds OEM, and that you follow the aftermarket producers recommendations. It is ILLEGAL to void the warrantee and the dealership can be sued. IF any dealership service person does tell you differently you can tell in an instant that he is lying by telling him if that is true put it down in writing, sign and date it. He won't because he knows that he will not only loose his job, Amsoil will sue the dealership.

As far as wear on the engine, I had a previous vehicle with 380,000 miles on it and it tested out with 35,000 miles equivalent wear with compression testing. Not too bad.

My challenge for our 2005 Highlander is finding a place to mount the aircraft bypass filter. May have to mount it near the gas tank and run the hoses up to the engine. The design engineers don't leave much space for anything these days. I will soon have the transmission oil changed out for Amsoil full synthetic trans oil. Am getting an additional 3+ miles to the gallon now and with the synthetic tranny oil should get another 1-3 more MPG.

• 1 month later...

That is very interesting Pipsqueak.

I have always changed my oil at 3000 miles. I know that has made Castrol happy.

The manual says 5k and so does the dealer. So I will probably use conventional oil and change every 5k.

Amsoil is not readily available around here. The Toyota oil is Chevron brand.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
That is very interesting Pipsqueak.

I have always changed my oil at 3000 miles. I know that has made Castrol happy.

The manual says 5k and so does the dealer. So I will probably use conventional oil and change every 5k.

Amsoil is not readily available around here. The Toyota oil is Chevron brand.

Thanks

Not readily available around there? They ship it to your front door!

Purely out of idle curiousity, do either of you (mitchcoyote & pipsqueak) work for Amsoil? You seem to be die-hard fans of the brand!

They're both probably dealers.... In fact I used to be one, actually a preferred customer.