Vibration and clicking sound

irobot10

I have a 2001 Avalon XLS with 80k miles, never been in any accident or not even a traffic light bump. Recently I have started encountering 3 problems -

1) Vibration in the steering wheel at 65-70 mph

2) Violent vibration in steering wheel while braking from 60-65mph

3) A clicking (cluck-cluck-cluck....) sound for about 10-15 seconds every time I accelerate after a stop sign or a traffic light or when I accelerate after slowing down. This only happens when I am already in motion and resume speed after a momentary stop/slowdown. Does not happen when I start from rest. The sound appears to be coming from driver side front wheel. It sounds as if a spring is unwinding or as if there is sand on the tire that is hitting the under-body metal when I accelerate....(the first time I noticed the sound, I physically checked if there was any sand...there was none of course!)

I have taken the car to a toyota dealership and a private mechanic, both said there is no problem with wheel alignment or balancing. Can anybody guess what's wrong with it?

Thanks.

Did you make any changes before this started happening?

I got new tires about an year ago, but other than that no changes done. After I noticed this vibration issue abt 3-4 months ago, I got the wheels balanced twice but it did not solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same type of probem sorta in my car...they did a bunch of stuff to it, you might want to have your axle itself checked, because mine was rusted over so bad they had to replace the whole thing.

My baby is worth it though.