Squeaking steering wheel in 2002 Camry

stevelaw

• 3 weeks later...

• 8 months later...
ANyone know why the steering wheel squeaks in myCamry? I saw some other posts on the internet of some other people complaining of the same problem,  but no one seems to have an answer: INCLUDING the service department.

What gives?

STEVE

What exactly is squeaking? Can you tell?

It was a polyurethane insulator. More WD-40 did the trick. Maybe the person who put my steering column in on the assembly line woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Sorry to hear that. You don't expect those issues from Toyota.

Of course, but there is now a technical bulletin on this problem. Oh well--it's still a great car.

Yeah, if a squeaky steering wheel is the worst of your concerns, it's probably a great car. That's the thing with Toyota owners that set them apart from Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Mitsu, etc...our problems are usually so minor compared to other makes. We complain about an occasional squeak, rattle, or maybe a wind noise. My husband has a Ford Explorer for a company car, and he complains about things like fuel pumps, abs sensors, transmissions, etc.

• 3 months later...

I've got an '03 Camry XLE V6 with a squeaky steering wheel...actually, it's more like a moan...especially when cold. Tried WD40 in the crack where the wheel meets the post, but little relief. Any updated news on this? If there is a TSB on this one, let me know.

I think I solved my steering squeak/groan...at the bottom of the steering shaft (driver's side of firewall)there's a rubber/neoprene bushing that the shaft goes thru...I sprayed this liberally w/ WD-40 (used a small scre driver to spread the wall where the shaft passes thru). Not only did this solve the noise, but the steering wheel seems to turn easier.

I don't know how long this'll last, but it was 10 degrees in Connecticut this morning and, for the first time this winter, the steering was smooth and quiet. Seems to be a lubrication issue at this bushing.

Hope this helps y'all.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, when i started this post, there was and still is no actual resistance in steering, just the noise. Do you feel that the wheel is harder to turn when cold?

Not really, but a bit of a vibration comes through to the steering wheel with the groan/squeak.

--OK Willy

Just got an 03 Avalon XLS and noticed the creak from near the steering column. Steering is not a problem, that's smooth as silk, but the noise drives me nuts at times!

I would be interested in hearing more about the tech bulletin if that info is available.

I'll try to find it on my server and send it to an email address if you want. But it was really more or less some instructions on how to remove the steering wheel shaft cover to get in there with lubricant. You're not having any resistance in steering are you? Just squeak, right?

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try to find it on my server and send it to an email address if you want. But it was really more or less some instructions on how to remove the steering wheel shaft cover to get in there with lubricant. You're not having any resistance in steering are you? Just squeak, right?

Yep, just a sqeek/creek.