PO401 Insufficent egr flow

RAV4LADY

Originally Posted by RAV4LADY

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first posting. I have a 2000 Toyota RAV-4. 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, 4 door. Yesterday the check engine light came on. The code that I'm getting is PO-401 insufficent egr flow. Can you please tell me how to clean the egr valve? What chemical should I use as a cleaner? How do I clean the long pipe that is attached to the bottom of the valve? I looks like it goes down deep into the engine. Besides cleaning the egr valve and pipe what are some other things I should do or check to clear the code? What is an egr sensor? Does my car have one? Would the sensor have anything to do with the error code I'm getting?

Also near the EGR valve is anothe valve. It has DENSO part numbers on it and the letters P R Q on it. Can you tell me what this part is and, does it have anything to do with the PO-401 code that I'm getting.

Thank you all in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

you must try the follwing.......have egr cleaned out, have the egr modulator(next to the egr...has vacuum lines hooked to it) filter cleaned and reset the codes. If this clears you are golden....if code does not go away, the vsv valve is probably bad....should be located by the manifold..most of these star with 25860-xxxxx part numbers

you must try the follwing.......have egr cleaned out, have the egr modulator(next to the egr...has vacuum lines hooked to it) filter cleaned and reset the codes. If this clears you are golden....if code does not go away, the vsv valve is probably bad....should be located by the manifold..most of these star with 25860-xxxxx part numbers

Hi 1radtoy,

I was out of town for a while. I just got back last night and found you're response. Thanks alot for the information. I'm going to be dealing with this problem over the weekend.

Do you feel it's more the vsv than the egr modulator? Could it be the egr modulator? Which of the two is it more likely to be? I have a friend who's very mechanically inclined and, he's helping me but, I have to buy the parts. Both the egr modulator and vsv are expensive parts. Both have to be bought from the dealer. I don't want to waste any money and buy both parts when I only need one. BUT WHICH ONE? WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHANGE?

Thank You

Karen