2018 Camery Hybrid - Fuel Blowback When Filling

Coorime18

Has anyone else had this problem? I did "search" but nothing came up. We've had Toyota's for 30 years or so but have never had an issue like this. The issue does not happen all the time, maybe 50% of the time, but It Should Not Happen At All.

When I go to the station (like I did an hour ago) to fill the car up, the gas nozzle keeps clicking off, like when the tank is full, but it's not full, there's less the 1/4 in the tank. It goes slow fill, click, slow fill, click about 4 - 5 times and then the fuel starts blowing back through the filler tube on the car. I could sometimes drive it around, shaking the car as I drive and hit the gas then brakes in case there's a vapor lock or something, sometimes it works, today, after several tries it didn't. I can't fill the car up unless I want to spend 2 hours there messing with it. When it blows back it dumps fuel all over the side of the car and on the ground when it happens and that's bad all the way 'round.....   Any thoughts on what it may be?

I had the same thing happen to me. No response from Toyota. But my son Googled it and found that when you press the Gas cap unlock from inside the car make sure that you hear two clicks. Because one click opens the outside body cover and the other opens a covers inside the pipe to let gas in. The slow flows  and the flow back is because of the inside cover still being closed.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would give it a few fillups before I did an update on this. I would say that the problem now seems to be corrected.

I took my car to the dealership we bought it from (been going there for 25 - 30 years to buy cars) and I explained the problem and I also brought

in some paperwork I found on-line about this happening to others and also a memo from Toyota stating they were aware of the problem. I also,

after doing much research, explained to them what it seemed was happening, but letting them know they were the Pros in this stuff, not me.

So they took the car in the shop, worked on it about an hour and what they did was to attach a blocking device to the release pin that pulls

back to open the gas filler door. They said (and I read it too in my research) that if the pin gets hit/bumped when the door is open it sends

false info to the cars computer that the tank is full, thus, the gas nozzle keeps clicking off, the gas nozzle has a sensor too.

When putting the gas nozzle in the filler pipe, the nozzle has that big round sealer do-hicky (you know what I mean) at the base, and

that sealer thing at the base of the nozzle hits the gas door lock pin, thus the problem, that blocker protects the gas door pin from

being bumped.

Sorry about not explaining it very clear, I just wokeup (and the sun is in my eyes and there's aliens trying to experiment on me etc etc  🙂 )

The bottom line is, it seems to work, I've filled up like 4 times now making sure that the pin is not touched with no more

click click click when I fill-up.

Let me/us know if this help you.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Today with temperature at -4 F, my 2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid would not accept fuel. I, like GurchainKhaira, googled the issue and found the post he left indicating that the in filler pipe door was not opening.  Trying to refill the tank again was successful.  I think that when the interior door opens it also loosens the gas cap.  My first attempt, the cap was not loose.  The second attempt the gas cap was loose. I think the low temperature may have contributed to the failure to loosen the cap and open the inner door.