better gas mileage

distyman

Hey people, with gas prices as high as they are, I wanted to see what I could do to squeak even better mileage out of my 94 LE that is a 4 cylinder. I have been able to get up to 40 plus miles per gallon consistently in the city. I made three improvements, put in a K&N air filter, changed the spark plugs to E3 plugs and lastly put a thing called the Tornado in the air intake tube. I have been running with this set up for about six weeks and it is great. Not only is the mileage better but also I gained a few more horsepower out of this little engine. I took a 250-mile cruse that was all highway except for about 20 miles of it and was getting close to 45 miles per gallon. I have 176k on this engine and it runs smooth!! I am thinking I might put in 8mm plug wires and a better coil to see what that does. Any thought or suggestions?

throw out that tornado thing - you've just blocked airflow to your engine - not good...

modfying a car will not improve gas mileage - try making the car lighter, remove spare tyre, rear seats, junk you dont need etc..

oh, and be light on the pedal - here our gas is still twice the price of yours, and its said if you want good economy, drive like theres an egg between your foot and the pedal!

What kind of oil are you running? You might want to try Mobil Drive Clean 7500. I have been running it for some time now and I picked uo a little mileage over regular oil.

I just running 10w 30. This was more of an experiment tnat I want to do. I wanted to see if I could get any improvement for under $100.00 bucks and so far the results have been good and I did not spend the full $100.00!

Well the Mobil oil will cost you a lot less than 100 bucks. And Fidgits is right-I don't see any practical applications for the tornado that prove it works. The K&N filter? It might work, but we do have a member on this board who is of the contention that they cause damage to the mass air flow sensor. I don't know what TOY's position is on this, but there was a Chevy service advisory notice regarding same on thier trucks not too long ago.