JDM Engine NITE MARE--Camry problem on and on

I have a 94 Toyota Camry LE which had the 2.2 Litre 4 cylinder 5sfe engine.

The engine blew due to high miles and I bought on ebay a "JDM" engine which is the 3sfe ......a 2.0 litre which I was assured would work as its the same block etc.

I have had fuel probs, and replaced lots of parts including fuel injecotrs, plugs, O2's , distributor and today, the ECU with a salvage yard one.

The engine dumps out tons of heavy black rich smoke and it burned up the cat-converter. Motor gets 10 MPG in a CAMRY city and 15 hwy. It should get mid to upper 20's. I am a middle age guy and do not lead foot.

My mechanic says the problem is the ECU since its designed for a 2.2 engine and it's flooding out the smaller 2.0 Litre JDM (Junky Dumped Motors is what JDM should stand for) This is just a theory but makes sense as all else has been replaced or addressed. SO MY QUESTION IS: Would an ECU for the same year Toyota, like a Corolla, work since it has smaller engine? Toyota did not sell the 2.0 in USA in 94 so there is no readily available ECU. The closest match would be the 1.6 or 1.8 designed for the 94 Corolla.

What should I do? I need to make the JDM 2.0 Litre work, but the exisitng setup is ruininng the car and already caused a converter fire (rich buildup of fuel/garbage in converter).

Please help or advise with some kind of direction. I live in KC and the 2 largest Toyota dealers said that with the “mods” I have done (engine swap) that I am "on my own, and good luck". They do not want to even look at the car. I need a cheap and immediate fix.