What is the most reliable used car to buy for under 4-5k?

Fade

I am in the market to buy my first car.  Will pay in cash full. 

I want the following in a car:

Very reliable

few trips to the mechanic

great mpg

cheap to maintain

just a budget friendly car to get me from point A to B and have good mpg

The cars I was looking at that may work were toyota corolla, toyota matrix, and pontiac vibe(matrix clone).  I like the mpg for the echo and yaris but hear they are rough rides and aren't good for long highway trips which I may do on occation.

The car will be my daily driver.

Specify what years to buy as well please.  I hear some toyotas like corolla, matrix, and vibe has excessive oil consumption problems. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

For that price range, I have to guess  a 2003-2008 Toyota Corolla. Issues are rare, gas mileage is still great and many replacement parts are available if you need to maintain it. 

2 minutes ago, XR2003 said:

For that price range, I have to guess  a 2003-2008 Toyota Corolla. Issues are rare, gas mileage is still great and many replacement parts are available if you need to maintain it. 

Thanks that is what I thought.  Do you have experience with those years 

Currently have a 2003 Matrix. Have many friends who have 2003 Corolla. Almost all the same components in terms of engine and transmission. Corollas do not have the odometer issue that Matrices will have once they go over 299,999 miles/KMS.

The only real issue that is common for both are intake manifold gasket replacement. Other than that just wear and tear.

2 hours ago, XR2003 said:

Currently have a 2003 Matrix. Have many friends who have 2003 Corolla. Almost all the same components in terms of engine and transmission. Corollas do not have the odometer issue that Matrices will have once they go over 299,999 miles/KMS.

The only real issue that is common for both are intake manifold gasket replacement. Other than that just wear and tear.

Thanks sounds like a reliable car.  Is it bad to buy such an old car?  Also what miles is too many to buy it at?  Any ideas?

Toyotas are well built and with minimal effort and cost can last a long time. Easily over 100k miles. Myself I have over 180k miles on my 2003 Toyota Matrix. Bought it brand new on May 31st 2002. 

As for too many miles as a prospective owner, it's more important to get the history of the car, no flood damage or rust and again decent maintenance. The 4 cylinder Toyotas should last well over 200k miles or more.