2020 Camry battery going dead

Amanda Terrebonne

******UPDATE*****

After so many Months troubleshooting this issue was a simple adjustment all along.

Toyota is irresponsible in not adjusting this problem.

Follow these steps. 

1. Select (Menu)

2. Select (Setup)

3. On the left press arrow down until you see (Vehicle )now select Vehicle.

4. Select (Vehicle Customization). 

5. Select (Convenience Services) on the right select the arrow down and select "off"  before you exit make sure the red dot is on off.

6. Select back arrow twice this will bring you back to the setup menu. 

7. Scroll up arrow and select (General). 

8. Press Double arrow  down twice Select "Software Update setting" if on select off. 

that's all. Select home button your done. Hope this helps everyone globally. 

it's been over 2 months and no problem I've left my car sitting for 1 week no problem. 

20201128_121941.jpg

20201128_122023.jpg

20201128_122145.jpg

20201128_122343.jpg

20201128_122417.jpg

20201128_122506.jpg

20201128_122537.jpg

20201128_122627.jpg

20201128_122639.jpg

20201128_122652.jpg

Edited by Manuel Ramirez
Added last entry of success

So we don't have a 2020 (yet) but see the reviews while looking at them. We do have currently a 2011, 2014, 2016 w/o issues but looking to upgrade the 2011. Does this solution indicate most folks have the remote start app working thru their phone/Verizon or are signed up for a radio subscription service? Or is this something that is left "ON" from the factory as a default?

• 4 weeks later...

Count me in. We parked my wife's 2020 Camry SE with 5200 miles on Christmas day around 2 p.m. and came out on the 27th at 11 a.m., and the battery was stone cold dead. Read 3.4 V. I took it out and charged it back up. It runs fine, but I wish they would find out what is causing this. I called into the repair place, but I think the people that run the front desk don't have a clue as I asked the girl about whether they had found a fix and she said we would just have to bring it in, so that they can check the batter. Yes, she doesn't know squat. 

Me too - dead battery on my new Camry.   UGH - this is so annoying.  Since I drive to places where help is hard to find (no cell service), I'm going to buy a battery boost pack to keep in the trunk.   This is such a problem that Toyota should just make them an accessory for the Camry Hybrid!   

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best boost pack system to buy?  On my recent jump (yesterday) the attendant said he used a low voltage: 2.4 volts.  Some of the boost packs seem to have excessive power.   Looking at the Noco Battery Boost Pack (GB40).   Not sure what's best - any suggestions would be appreciated.    Also, comments on how best to jump the car would be appreciated.

I have had the same issues with my 2020 Camry XLE, luxury model.  Several battery drains since purchase in April 2020. Dealer finally installed another battery in October 2020. Didn't have anymore problems until Dec 27th...walked out to start my car for a doctors appt and dead battery! Called the service dept they told me they had a fix for the problem and made me an appt to get it fixed. He said it should take care of the problem, I hope so or Toyota will be giving me another car in same price range! Will see an attorney if the fix doesn't work. I will not be responsible for a defective vehicle sold to me with their knowledge of the problem beforehand!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this problem with my Camry Hybrid 2007. My aux battery failed last winter. I replaced it the Toyota OEM battery and it has been failing since December. Does the DCM update affect older models too?

I had concluded that a parasitic drain was causing the problem and wondered whether the ECU was continually trying to communicate with the Bluetooth pressure sensors in the tires, which have reached their end of life, even when the ignition is off. I didn't want to spend $700 replacing the sensors as I can check the tires regularly and top them up anywhere with my portable pump. Other potential parasitic drains could be from a faulty touch sensor on the door handle, the trunk latch not turning off the light in the trunk, or a faulty fob switch constantly communicating with the car (one of my fobs doesn't work.)

On 11/28/2020 at 4:35 PM, Manuel Ramirez said:

******UPDATE*****

After so many Months troubleshooting this issue was a simple adjustment all along.

Toyota is irresponsible in not adjusting this problem.

Follow these steps. 

1. Select (Menu)

2. Select (Setup)

3. On the left press arrow down until you see (Vehicle )now select Vehicle.

4. Select (Vehicle Customization). 

5. Select (Convenience Services) on the right select the arrow down and select "off"  before you exit make sure the red dot is on off.

6. Select back arrow twice this will bring you back to the setup menu. 

7. Scroll up arrow and select (General). 

8. Press Double arrow  down twice Select "Software Update setting" if on select off. 

that's all. Select home button your done. Hope this helps everyone globally. 

it's been over 2 months and no problem I've left my car sitting for 1 week no problem. 

My wife’s is 1 year old 17k miles so it is driven a lot, battery died at 3000 miles so at first service I let them know, they said just a fluke maybe lights left on, well next time was at 9000 miles took in for service same crap can’t find a problem don’t jump it off have it towed, well we work for a living and have to jump it off to go to work so we can pay for it. Now I have had it die 2 more times. I am trying the above and at 20k service going to see if they can do the firmware update if there really is one, I am so disappointed with Toyota on this, we switched from Honda and this doesn’t sit well. 2020 Camry se xp white with black rims. Unhappy camper 😞

On 1/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, Michael Walsh said:

my new Toyota Camry with 1620 miles on it had a dead batter the other morning. Roadside technician said keeping the keyless fob in your car will drain your battery. two days and still. all ok. I now keep my keyless forb and the spare a long distance from the car

You can turn the fob off so that it won't communicate with the car. I can't remember the exact procedure but I think it's just push the lock button until the light blinks 4 times.

Pushing any button turns it back on. No need to put key in the next county or in a metal box lol. 

I doubt that the smart key is your issue. Can't hurt to turn it off when not in use though.

I have 2020 Toyota Camry. I had it since last May. Several months ago, the battery died. Now, it has happened on 4 different occasions. I have taken it back to the dealer twice a for this issue but to no avail, they deny that it is a problem. No resolution. They have even kept my car for several days to duplicate the dead battery but they say it starts right up. I’m not believing that part. I would have never bought this car if I had known owners were having this issue. The commonality is that the car was parked for about 24 hours each time this has occurred. I had a 2009 Camry and to compare the two for reliability, I would choose the 2009 any day over the new Camry. Just saying.  This Toyota will be my last Toyota. I have a 2018 Honda Pilot and have to say there is no comparison. It has not stranded me. Toyota is not the car company that they used to be. Has anyone come across a resolution for this dead battery issue? Please let me know.

Died again after doing the above, I called 2 dealers one gave me the run around the other said it is the SOS system is not going to sleep and it is a software update, he made me an appointment for Monday, I pray this fixes it as my wife is ready to sell it.

My 2020 Rav4 (purchased in may, 2020) has had this dead battery issue happen 3 times.  The first time in Oct, they simply replaced the battery. That battery lasted 3 weeks to the day and was dead again. I noticed the car sat 22 hours without being run. Toyota service claimed they had no fix for it (Nov 9), but wanted to know about any unusual circumstances ( such as keeping my keys too close to the car or if there were any commercial radio antennas nearby). They even suggested parking my car elsewhere!! Like I was going to take a bus or something to where I park my car. I made sure the car was run every 12 hours to keep the battery from draining, that worked for over 2 months till it was dead on a snowy morning. I took it in, and they finally admitted to the EL1934 firmware update. I hope this is the end of it. Just lucky they had the fix the day I arrived. How long have they known about the firmware fix? It seems they are waiting for people to come in instead of letting us know. 

Would the entune update have anything to do with the battery issue? On 2 occasions, I updated entune and within 3 days my battery was dead. That wouldn't effect the DCM would it?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

2020 camry 1000 miles 84 month 7 year tru start toyota battery dead hall barker toyota would not answer computer told me to ho on line internet to schedule appointments new AAA battery now one phone call spoke to a human being so long toyota

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2020 at 5:48 PM, GTPpilot said:

On 10/9/2020 at 10:44 PM, tdock said:

2020 Camry XLE purchased, Oct 2019 has had the battery drain issue 3 times. Dealership finally replaced the battery in December 2019 the third time I took it to them. 10 months after they replaced the battery Oct 2020, I go out to the car and experienced the same problem!  Smart key System malfunctioning / Battery dead. I was livid, this was the 4th time this has happen. I called 1-800 Toyota spoke to a Case Manager and Supervisor while vehicle was being towed to the dealership. I was told by the Case Manager that they had just release an update to correct this issue. I told him to call my dealership and ensure that they had the update and would perform the procedure on my car.  He did and once I got to the dealership they informed me they would replace the battery and complete the DCM Reset and Firmware Update EL1934  0.8 86741-#####.  Toyota and the Dealership says this will fix the Battery drain issue. I am hoping this works. If you are experiencing the same problem, make sure that 1-800 Toyota documents your case and make sure your dealership is aware of the update.

I had the same problem as everyone else.  I joined this forum just so I could thank everyone for their input, especially tdock.  When I took my used 2020 LE to the dealership yesterday.  The "service coordinator" was not aware of the problem.  He said he had heard of it on the Rav 4s, but not the Camrys.  I was able to point out to him that this had been reported as a problem with both.  He called his service manager who confirmed it was an issue with both models.  It was very comforting to see the same Firmware Update EL1934 .8 printed on the service ticket as reported above.

I bought this car used as my final retirement car not expecting any problems.  I traded in  a 2003 LE with 210K miles, that I had replaced front brake pads,  a starter, and front struts. This new car had been a rental/loaner from the dealership.  It had remaining warranty, and I believe I paid a fair price. I suspect it had been driven most days, and may not have ever had the battery die.  I feel confident now that the dead battery issue may be solved. 

My heartfelt thanks to all who have taken the time to post their experiences.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 4:37 PM, GTPpilot said:

You can turn the fob off so that it won't communicate with the car. I can't remember the exact procedure but I think it's just push the lock button until the light blinks 4 times.

Pushing any button turns it back on. No need to put key in the next county or in a metal box lol. 

I doubt that the smart key is your issue. Can't hurt to turn it off when not in use though.

The actual procedure is press and hold the lock button, then press the unlock button twice, and wait until the led flashes 4 time..  my bedroom so so close to my car outside, I use this to prevent someone from opening my car...

Yes! I’ve had the car about 9 months and have had to get a jump or call roadside assistance 3 times. The first time I was told it was likely due to not driving it frequently enough (it had been 3 days). The second time, it was suggested that perhaps the door remained opened for a long period of time during my service appointment which caused the battery to drain. No explanation for the third time. So frustrating. That’s the whole point of driving a new car... having confidence it will start when you need it!

On 9/7/2020 at 2:11 PM, Mindy said:

I'm having same issues. Bought my 2020 camry SE nightshade in April. Today makes the 3rd time its gone dead in my driveway. Other 2 times was 2 months or more ago. The ONLY thing I've done differently since 2 months ago was turn on the automatic high beam feature...could this be it?? Also when in my driveway my key is very close to the car so I started storing them further away in the house also. This is maddening!!!!! 

I have a 2011 Camry and the battery drains if I let it set for 2 days!  This is a problem that Toyota apparently is never going to fix.  I have no idea where the drain is coming from :(

• 7 months later...

Same issue with my 2019 XSE Camry ( 28,000 miles ) and had to call road assistance ! Engine start not responding and not even mentioning the battery as the issue . I couldn’t even had my car on Neutral to get it out of the garage . This should definitely be a recall and Toyota needs to take responsibility. It is ridiculous that regular batteries average life is 4 years and it’s surprising that new Toyota cars are having the same issue and no support from Toyota . 

I"m a retired Toyota industrial electric technician. I just purchased a new 2022 Camry. There is an easy way for technicians to locate what is draining the battery, but it is time consuming and there in is the problem, dealers won't give their technicians enough time to truly diagnose a problem. 

For the tech, the way to find the problem, with the car off check for amperage draw at the battery. It should be 0. If not something is draining the battery. 

Pull one fuse at a time  and watch the amps, when it goes to 0 you have found the circuit that is draining the battery. Next you need to isolate what component on that circuit is causing the problem, as you know it may be multiple components. 

My first guess would be the security system, it is active 24/7 but should only pull mill amps and that won't drain a battery quickly.  

After reading this thread I can't imagine why Toyota hasn't corrected the problem, it should be an easy fix once isolated. 

I live in California, if my new Camry develops the same issue, they will get the car back, I live fifty miles from the nearest Toyota dealer. 

On 4/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, Tiffany said:

Yes! I’ve had the car about 9 months and have had to get a jump or call roadside assistance 3 times. The first time I was told it was likely due to not driving it frequently enough (it had been 3 days). The second time, it was suggested that perhaps the door remained opened for a long period of time during my service appointment which caused the battery to drain. No explanation for the third time. So frustrating. That’s the whole point of driving a new car... having confidence it will start when you need it!

Tiffany this kind of thing truly angers me, whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. The service advisors you talk to at the dealer aren't technicians because no honest tech would say something that stupid. 

Echoing the advice of an earlier post to call the Toyota 800# if you experience this issue.  Since they now know this problem is not the actual battery, but requires a firmware update, why have they not issued a recall notice?  They didn’t have an answer for that, but they did take my complaint and assign a case number.  I fear that if they don’t hear from enough people, they will just let us be stranded one by one on this issue, and any others that might crop up.

• Like 1