Where can I find a good deal from an out-of-state Toyota dealership on an extended warranty? Worth buying one?

joe smith

Hi all,

I have a 2018 Toyota RAV4 that has 30,000 miles on it and will be two years old in a few months. Factory warranty expires after 36,000 miles or 3 years, I believe, whichever comes first.

Is buying an extended warranty from Toyota is worth it?  Family have been driving Toyota cars for a long time because of their reliability. They don't think I need to buy an extended warranty.  I initially chose to buy one from the dealership where we purchased our car. Can't remember which one it was, but it cost about $2,700 at the time. I chose to cancel it a week later and shop around later once I got around to it.

The dealers always like to scare you about the computer systems dying for no reason. An independent mechanic my family uses says that computer systems should be the last thing to worry about. Mechanical issues are obviously much more common. His opinion was to put the money in the bank, let it accumulate interest for a major repair in the next few years, should one arise.

Buddies from work tell me that it's easy to buy a warranty from a Honda dealership out-of-state at a much better price than most dealerships. That one was in Massachusetts, I think.

Are there any Toyota dealerships well known on this forum for offering a good price on extended warranties? Possible to buy one from an out-of-state dealership?

Thanks all in advance for your advice

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and purchased the extended warranty for peace of mind, probable not always the best decision in shopping around or the necessity of a extended coverage on a new RAV4.  But here is the kicker, we were informed after having the truck 7 months, contract obviously signed and processed.. they agency informed us the policy will be increased... hmmm really?