2020 Camry Battery died twice

Matt888

Anyone else have a new 2020 Camry that the battery has died and nothing was left on, my wife’s is only 4 months old and done this twice. The first time I was not sure if she left anything on this time I checked everything and nothing was on, it is due for the first service but I am sure they will say they can’t find anything unless there is a service bulletin or update.

Unless the vehicle isn't being used for a considerable amount of time then the battery should remain in a charged state.
If there is a current drain on the battery then I would be tempted to remove the negative terminal and see if the battery naturally discharges over time or whether there is something pulling it down and then you're into another completely different issue

Let us know what you find out

• 3 weeks later...

Have had my Hybrid Camry since February; now has 4100 miles.  I turned the ignition on and immediately got multiple warnings, i.e. parking brake malfunction, precollision malfunction, hybrid system stopped.  I couldn't even drive it.  It immediately went completely dead while waiting for a tow to the dealer.  Had to use manual key to unlock doors and trunk to get my stuff out.  So glad I had the presence of mind to immediately record the warnings.

Got a call this morning confirming it's a bad battery.  I suspect that this isn't going to be the first time this happens...

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2020 at 8:57 AM, Matt888 said:

I saw a few in the UK anyone in the states or is it just me, thanks

Me, brand new camry has it for 3 months . car wouldn’t start, and dash said “smart key system malfunction”. tried again today,  (the next day) and car was completely dead. 

last time i had driven the car was 2 days prior this happening. 

• 3 weeks later...

My 2020 Camry wouldn't start last week. Had roadside tow it to Toyota. I was then told the battery was dead, and that there is a problem with the software draining the battery, and Toyota doesn't have a fix for it yet, so there is no recall at this time. So you better carry jumper cables....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2020 Camry SE and my car's battery has gone dead twice! It was driving me nuts trying to figure out why!! Both times my car went dead has been on a Monday morning. I think I have figured out the problem. If I leave the car UNLOCKED all weekend and not drive it,  then on Monday morning when I get in it its dead. So something is draining the battery. Here is what I think it is...if I leave the car unlocked the display behind the steering wheel still shows the time and mileage but if I lock the car,  the display goes off. So...I think the display being left on when the car is unlocked is what was draining the battery dead over the weekend.

I lock my car every time I get out now and its has been two months since my battery has gone dead. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I absolutely loved my 2018 camry. Never had a problem, not one. So when I was in a car accident and lost my vehicle, I went straight for another camry. Big mistake. HUGE.  I purchased a brand new 2020 Camry in October of 2020. In less than two months, I went to start my car and it was completely dead. Had to get it towed to dealership where they told me they couldn't find a problem, battery was fine. So I kindly told them I keep my doors locked, I disconnect my Bluetooth before turning off car, there has got to be something happening. Well, they found nothing, so sent me on my way. Not even two months later, my husband walked by my car after getting home (5hrs after I had gotten home) and said it was making a weird noise. Go back out and it sounded like my fuel pump was running.....5hrs after being turned off! So called same dealership, explaines to them what was happening,  and they said its normal for the pump to run a few minutes after turning off car. Uh, NOT 5HRS AFTER.  Took it in, and after keeping it a day, they said the battery was bad. WHAT?!?! So they replaced battery, listened to me tell them people shouldn't have these types of issues with brand new cars at that price, and sent me on my way. Since then, no problems until this week. Twice this week, tonight being the most current. I took our dogs out and hear the stupid pump still running (both times hours after its been parked). Have to start car and turn it off again, making sure pump shuts off. Ridiculous! Will be calling to get it checked Monday and have also started looking for new vehicle. Hate car shopping, but would rather get a new vehicle than continue to pay for and deal with a lemon. Do better for your people, Toyota. We can't all be making up the issue. To many other makes and models to continue dealing with Toyota and your dealerships who look at us like we're crazy because we state the problems, but your computers can't find anything wrong. Your consumers shouldn't have to argue to get someone to listen and check the vehicle thoroughly.