Engine CHECK light

aggie

I have 99 Camry CE wiht 59,000 miles. This sunday Engine CHECK light came on. On the stop sign, RPM started to fluctuate. I took it to Firestone (since it was closeby and I though car will power) and they said it was Fuel Filter. I got it changed and drivign back from the Firestone the CHECK light came back and RPM is fluctuating from time to time. I took back and they said drive it for a day or two and after they will clean fuel system. Yesterday, I took it to Autozone to get second opinion, and their OBD-II gace two codes: P0130 and P0171. :unsure: Interesting part, after Autozone, CHECk light disappered and came back this morning. Does anybody had the same experiecne? what do these code mean?

P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)

One of your O2 sensors may be bad or dirty. Do you have a K&N filter or other foam type filter that needs to be cleaned and oiled? It sounds like your MAF (mass air flow) sensor is dirty or something.

I know from your previous posts that you are very skeptical, for several reasons, of the K&N-type air filters. Your contentions are not without merit: Chevy trucks seem to have a problem with those filters. But I don't think TOYs do as far as I know. But...if you might be right...then he should go get a conventional air filter and put it in and see if the light comes on more or less. If it comes on more, then the little bit less flow from the conventional filter would no longer slightly blow off existing contamination. I think he has an O2 sensor problem.

Steve - Yota's have the same problem as the Chevy's do. I know from experience as well as annecdotal evidence from members on other boards. They foul up the MAF and cause more headaches than they're worth IMO.

Stevelaw/Humanoid,

You guys talk in very techncial language. Please, explaing me what I should do in simple language without MAF, IMOs. I am not familair with technical terms, I want my car to get fixed.

Thanks for understanding!

Also, the best thing to do is have a trusted mechanic look at the problem if all of this confuses you. I know it can be overwhelming at times, but read up on things so you don't get duped by someone in the future.

Stevelaw,

No, I live in south Texas and it does not snow here at all. I bought this car in January 2006 and looks like the car was not driven for 6 months, since owner was out of country.

Car was running great, I checked it for long distance and had no problem. Friday I put gas (I am thinking it might be becasue of fuel too) and on Sunday I had engine light on and car started acting funny. RPM started fluctuate and car was loosing power, but did not stall.I took it to Firestone/mastercase service after they replaced me a fuel filter. They cleaned the throttle and light went off. I took it back and was driving, light came back again. It strarted to do the same thing. RPM fluctuates and car is not runnign smooth.

Should take it to Toyota Dealership?

The knuckledraggers at Firestone probably knocked a vacuum hose off near the throttle body when they were cleaning it. Check around for any signs of loose hoses at the like. I had did the same thing when I was cleaning my throttle body and accidently knocked a vacuum hose loose under the throttle body and my truck was idling very rough.

remove the maf sensor on the intake hose air filter to throttle body clean with electric contact cleaner and blow dry with compressed air if possible or just let dry , disconnect battery neg terminal for 30 seconds and give that a try. k&n filters will definitely enhance this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have the same problem. It goes away and comes back. I've done some search and gettign confused. Some say it is O2 sendor, others MAP, EGR and etc. The funny part, when I take it to mechanic the problem goes away. The code P0171 and P1130 there.

Any suggestions?

Well, even if you live in south TX (makes sense= TX A&M) your Camry might be a yankee car. I keep thinking as a NY'er there might be something going on with the wiring to the o2 sensor. Did you disconnect the battery and reconnect to clear the ecm?

I still have the same problem. It goes away and comes back. I've done some search and gettign confused. Some say it is O2 sendor, others MAP, EGR and etc. The funny part, when I take it to mechanic the problem goes away. The code P0171 and P1130 there.

Any suggestions?

Well, even if you live in south TX (makes sense= TX A&M) your Camry might be a yankee car. I keep thinking as a NY'er there might be something going on with the wiring to the o2 sensor. Did you disconnect the battery and reconnect to clear the ecm?

I did not disconnected battery. I pull out EFI fuse and CEL goes away and it comes back at the end of the day and cars starts surging. How do I check wiring to the O2 sensor???