2019 RAV4 Hybrid Gas Tank

HybridFLfan

I've had my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid for about 5 months and have encountered a major issue with the gas tank capacity.  Shortly after purchasing the new vehicle, I realized that any fill up of the tank was incomplete.  Fuel capacity is 14+ gallons and I'm seldom able to squeeze in 8-9 gallons when nearly empty.  The dealer has replaced the tank, which has not fixed the issue.  Toyota is aware of the problem, but they do not have a solution yet.  Anyone else encountering this issue of having only 2/3 the fuel capacity and thus shorter distances to empty?  Any luck with getting it resolved?

• 1 month later...

Just saw a TSB for an issue like this. T-SB-0220-17. Your Rav is not on it, but they may not know all the effected vehicles yet.

If the latch switch gets hit by the nozzle or the splash shield and trips it, an automatic filler vapor block is activated. At that point you can't fill it any more.

The fix is a shield for the switch, but you can experiment to see if that is what is happening.

TSB fuel door MC-10161532-9999.pdf

• 4 months later...

.02    Haven't topped off a gas tank since '80s with Gov't emission standards requiring vapor recovery gas tanks. Only have it a few months but get a full fuel fill pegging the gas gauge every time. Never run a gas tank below 1/8 anyway since the gas is necessary to cool and lubricate the in tank electric fuel pump.

Rav4 '19-20 Hybrids have a plastic "saddlebag" gas tank like those used in many AWD GM SUVs. Unlike a typical saddlebag tank which straddles the driveshaft, these rear electric motor Toys don't use a rear driveshaft, but they do have a metal support beam similarly raising that portion of the bottom of the tank separating the tank into two sections joined at the top, the gas filler being on the forward section and the vapor vent line being on the other. Maybe like the GMs these type tanks have a problem when owners repeatedly attempt to top off the tank forcing liquid gas into the vapor vent line eventually jamming the vapor vent solenoid which is meant to vent vapor, not liquid. Once liquid blocks the vent line the rear section of the tank develops an air embolism and cannot be completely filled.

• 1 month later...

I just talked to the service department at the Toyota dealership.  He told me that they are coming up with a solution to the gas tank issue, but they have not come up with the way to resolve as of now.  It is an annoying issue.  It is not just "topping it off" - Yesterday, a warning came on that i had low fuel and should locate a gas station.  I filled the tank to the automatic shut-off and it only took 10.7 gallons for a 14+ gallon tank.  As soon as I drove a  few miles, my gauge read as 3/4 full.  The service manager at the dealership told me he read  where one person drove over 100 miles after the low tank warning, and the tank still was not empty (although he did not recommend doing that!)  Apparently it is faulty at both reading when the tank is empty and when it is full.

• 2 years later...
On 1/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, HybridFLfan said:

I've had my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid for about 5 months and have encountered a major issue with the gas tank capacity.  Shortly after purchasing the new vehicle, I realized that any fill up of the tank was incomplete.  Fuel capacity is 14+ gallons and I'm seldom able to squeeze in 8-9 gallons when nearly empty.  The dealer has replaced the tank, which has not fixed the issue.  Toyota is aware of the problem, but they do not have a solution yet.  Anyone else encountering this issue of having only 2/3 the fuel capacity and thus shorter distances to empty?  Any luck with getting it resolved?

We have 2021  Enzo hybrid have same problem dealer started with our gas door wouldn’t open dealer said drive around with it open till we get part. As soon as that happened the went fill car and took 6 gallons computer read miles to empty 220. And gas gauge was 1/2 way , we definitely have problem dealer says this is new problem and Toyota won’t do anything till we get three complaints. Well it seems like they have more than three. Do you have number for Toyota corporate. I am so disappointed with my dealer   We also had our car not start while on vacation. Had to get jump start engine light came on tow company said take dealer asap we tried take it dealer in New Jersey where we were vacationing. They said  week before they saw us to drive it where you bought 350 miles back Massachusetts. We did our dealer said sometime next week we explained the problem he said it seems ok now. And Toyota won’t do anything unless you have three problems this is ridiculous thanks Larry