Howling sound at accelerating or slowing down

jo_green29b

Not so long ago my Matrix 2007 (base) started making howling sounds on accelerating and slowing down, something like u-u-u-u-u going up or down in tone.

The impression is that somewhere there created a vacuum that draws in the air creating this sound. 

It is not happening every time, but often enough to start wondering about the reason for it. Wondering if someone in the Matrix Club has had a similar experience and could advise on what needs be done to correct this issue. I did looked through the forums for topics containing the 'sound' and 'noise' words, but wasn't able to found anything relevant. 

Edited by jo_green29b
Provide additional information.

• 6 months later...

Thank you for your reply, XR2003!
It doesn't sound like a problem with the wheel bearings as, sometimes I hear this sound when  the car is completely stopped. And I could interrupt this sound by switching the gear to parking and slightly pressing the gas pedal or by starting moving again. I'll attach a sound clip that I recorded while slowing down the car.

2020_04_15_20_17_14.mp3

Heard the sound, almost positive it is the struts. I have that exact sound in my 2003 Matrix with over 180k miles, original owner since 2002.

Worn struts make a clunk sound but also can howl as you described under a light load. I especially hear it when moving slowly in parking lot or a drive through.

Another possibility is worn engine mounts. So any slight load on the motor would make that sound appear and disappear. 

Cheapest fix is to turn up the volume in your radio. Lol. But if you got some time and money look into replacing whenever it is convenient for you.

• 1 month later...

I have road noise too but it is associated with the speed of the car not the engine rpm.  I replaced the front bearings and was little change. At 129,000 miles I'm thinking its the tires.  I haven't changed the rear hubs and might do that because it 1000 times easier than the front was and doesn't require a machine shop. I do wonder if it is struts though. I had front end aligned recently and it steers straight but noise is still there.