Rav4 drive train problem

PCoD

Recently had unusual noise mostly around 50 mph. took in for inspection and told u-joint had back of driveshaft failed and sheared off two of four studs to the rear differential coupling resulting in a $3100 bill. Has anyone heard of this before (dealer says they never have) and possibly explain how it could happen? U-joints are non-serviceable sealed units so if they are subject to failure I would expect that be part of some periodical service inspection.Car was in for differential service 9,000 miles ago and currently sits at just over 121k. I would think this should have been caught during differential servicing. Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

While I agree with you, that the problem should have been addressed at the differential service.  But, these things can happen suddenly, without any warning.  How long ago did you notice this problem?  Did it start suddenly?  The Drive Train warranty is for 100k miles only. After that, it's up to you to pay for fixing it. Sorry about the $3100 bill.  While it is unpleasant to pay.....it's not that high.  If you intend to keep it for a long time, you have to be prepared to fix it sometime.  Nothing lasts forever, unless you put money into it!  Even a Toyota!!!!!  Bob K