2018 mod to allow AC system to allow windshield defog AND recirculate ?

cruiserandmax

We have a 2018 LE model with the base level manual AC system. It will not allow the windshield defog button or windshield defog&feet button to be used without forcing the recirculate to turn off (uses outside air). Our particular climate actually benefits greatly from using the windshield defog vents with recirculate turned ON to keep out smoke and urban smells/fumes. I have never run into a problem in other cars where defogging using heat and recirculate was not able to effectively defog the windshield so I'm not sure why that is not at least an option in this system.

Does anyone know of any modification (maybe a software change via OBDII?) that would enable the use of the windshield defog vents AND recirculate at the same time?

Thanks for any tips or ideas!

I have never had a vehicle that would allow the use of recirculating air with the defrosters. You need to bring in fresh air to get the moisture laden inside air out so the windows will clear off. I always laugh when I see someone driving during one of our Minnesota Winters and their windows are so steamed up and frosted over that they can't see. Turn off the recirculating and they will clear right up. I know what I'm talking about, been doing this for almost 60 years.

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

If REALLY, REALLY want the vehicle to stay in RECIRC, it is possible to change.  Your local dealer can do this.  It is called a "Customize Function" and more specifically, you want them to change the HVAC "Air Inlet Mode" to Manual, instead of Automatic (The factory default for this mode to to Automatic for the reasons mentioned above by ddswanny).  I would only recommend this for operation in parts of the country with very low humidity levels.