First Matrix, First post, first issue!

Cards4Matrix

Hey everyone!  I just acquired my my first Toyota Matrix!  It is an S model with the ground effects and sunroof and all kinds of nifty gadgets and in my favorite color blue!  

Whats really interesting is that I acquired it by trading my football card collection for it.  I received the Matrix and $2,000 he received almost 5,000 football cards.  We are both happy!  I just drove it home today from North Carolina all the way to New York.  

First issue I am assuming is just a bad TPMS sensor as the light would randomly come on, then go off, the  flash for a while and then go off again or stay on for a while. I stopped several times to check tire pressures and they never changed. Is the tire shop only place able to determine which sensor it is or could it be something bigger like a control module?

second thing I noticed is that it idles rough but ONLY when at a stop AND in drive. If I click it up to  neutral it smooths out immediately.    I ordered some new iridium spark plugs cause when I asked the previous owner when he cha fed them last he looked at me like I had two heads.  If it’s not the plugs what else could cause the rough idle when at a stand still in drive?  

Third, I noticed the front edge on the sunroof was pretty rusty/corroded.  I did run it through a pretty ferocious car wash to test it and doesn’t leak at all.  Is that just the glass piece that I should replace or is it the whole assembly.  I want to make sure it’s fixed BEFORE it starts leaking.

Fourth, is the power steering system serviceable?  I brought it to valvoline to have a power steering system flush and they said they couldn’t do it so either they are retards or it’s a non-serviceable system.

5th- anyone have a reference link to removing radio?  PO says he got a cd stuck in there and I would very much like to get it out since I like my CDs.

tha me in advance!  I’m sure to have more questions as I work my way through this car.  Anything else I should look at doing as far as preventative maintenance on known issues?  Car has just shy of 145,000 miles and made the almost 820 mile trip very comfortably.  The cloth on the door s is no longer attached it’s looks like a sideways headliner that isn’t stuck to the roof anymore but in this case the doors panel.  Also the drivers sunvisor doesn’t stay up, is that as simple as just replacing the visor?

135B294A-2D4C-48AD-B492-19A1FB4F18AD.jpeg

932316EA-2734-4D29-AA6B-BE9824B9F756.jpeg

3A1139AB-D16F-46CC-9F6E-101FA10D311E.jpeg

Hi .... welcome to the Forum

That sounds like you got a great deal there!

The first issue of stumbling revs is usually carbon build up in the throttle housing area....if you can remove and clean it will pickup revs as normal afterwards.

Radio removal usually requires special tools to take out from the dash but very cheap (see link below)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Car-Radio-Stereo-Removal-Release-Tool-Key-8cm-For-Ford-Audi-VW-Volkswagen/133096137882?fits=Model%3AMatrix|Make%3AToyota&epid=27007474492&hash=item1efd25e49a:g:D4gAAOSwoxVdEIKb

Power steering is usually a case of putting a drain tray below one of the unions to the steering rack or pump and releasing the union to allow it to drain from the lowest point possible....preferably with the engine not running as this would damage the hydraulic components.
Refill with new fluid and then start the engine, turn the steering lock to lock and keep topping up until all air is expelled from the reservoir and is at the correct level. Recheck periodically to ensure it hasn't dropped down on the level or there are any leaks.

TPMS - I would inflate all the tyres a couple of PSI one at a time to see which one is likely to be the culprit.....2 psi of pressure would not overly affect handling or wear in the short term but can be enough to extinguish the warning lamp. Ensure that you check tyre pressures using a reliable digital or analogue pressure gauge and when the tyres are cold.

The sunroof....best bet is to replace it as the rust won't get any better 🙂

Good to have you onboard and keep us updated on the progress with the Matrix

Cheers,   Trevor