How often should I be changing the oil and filter ?

Victor6799

I just received a 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS as a gift from my uncle but want to find out how often should I be changing the oil and oil/filter considering that I only drive the vehicle once a month about 50-70KM/month. Will twice a year be sufficient in changing the oil or perhaps more often that this. Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

• 3 years later...

Great cars!  My opinion?  With the extremely low miles driven, use Mobil 1 and a Wix oil filter, and change at 6,000 miles or every two years.  Drive it enough to get the engine temperature up to normal, to evaporate any condensation in the crankcase.  Other considerations are the fuel going stale before you use a tankful, so consider a gas preserver such as Sta-Bil or the like.  Your tires may develop flat spots if they sit for a month and the air pressure will creep down.  With disk brakes, they will sound noisy for the first few stops as the pads take the little bit of rust off the rotors.   It's all normal.

My three Avalons are all above 220,000 miles with no engine issues.

Good luck1

-Warren