Water and Condensation on both inner taillights

John Clarke

I have 2015 Highlander that is 36 months old.  When I took it into dealer three months ago they said condensation was on right inner taillight and would cost $330 to repair.

Now left inner taillight has 2 or 3 ounces of water sloshing at the bottom along with condensation.  The right taillight has completely dried out.

Highlander is always kept outside--had 10 inches of rain in the past month.

Have no idea how water is getting into both taillights.  Appears to be manufacturing defect.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont want to say I know the answer as I just purchased my Highlander,but my past experience with vehicles and water is that there is often a drain hole and or vent in the light assembly, it sometimes has a rubber tube attached to it and if it gets clogged (even a small amount of dirt could do this) it will allow water to collect. It is also possible that the plastic lens is cracked or the seam between the lens and the housing has separated. It only takes a small crack to let water in especially with the amount of rain we have had in VA lately. If you remove the taillight and clean it and carefully blow some compressed air into anything that looks like a drain or vent and then inspect for any cracks, maybe, hopefully you will find the answer. Hope that helps