brake upgrade

efini13

i just bought a 91 mr2. the guy i bought it from told me it had brakes from a turbo model. so i bought rotors for a turbo model and the calipers didnt fit, the rotor interfered with the fit. now that i dont know what i have i need to ask will the turbo spindle assembly on the non turbo car? will the turbo calipers fit the non turbo spindle assembly? the calipers that are on the car are two piston calipers, i need to know how to tell the difference between the two different calipers for the turbo and nonturbo models. i figure if i already have the rotors for an upgrade i might as well upgrade. thanks for any help

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, TRD has a tendency to forget about anything more than about 5 years old. I guess that makes sense in a practical sort of way...darn it. If it makes you feel any better, TRD doesn't make anything for me either.

~ Yeah. I know. It's a damned shame. You and me, guys who've been around a while, who've been in this a long time, guys like us who aren't going anywhere, anytime soon, we're the ones TRD ought to be reaching out to, most.

~ Toyota doctrine should dictate TRD must reach back and, bare minimum, support with a full catalog, these marks, forever:

1). The Supra, Mk II and greater (crate engine packages)

2). The Celica, all the way back to the 18RC (e.g., in particular, the All-Trac)

3). The Corolla, all of them (with all the old Formula Atlantic stuff from the old TRD brochures)

4). The MR2, all of them (with everything ever offered in the old TRD brochures; crate 4AGE and 4AGZE availability)

5). Land Cruiser, all of them (a TRD certified and re-engineered restoration component program, for enthusiasts)

~ This would make me a happy camper. This would make me a forever Toyota guy. My eyes would never need stray.

Regards,

~ Sammy, '88 Supercharged MR2

It would be cool...but I can't see it happening, unfortunately. One nice thing is that most of those cars are absolutely bullet-proof, so nothing breaks (usually). And in the case of the Supra, a lot of the tuners still have parts. Too bad I don't still have a Supra!

Hmmm...I do love that Lotus...first reliable Lotus ever! That lovely Toyota powertrain takes out a lot of the usual Lotus-cost-of-ownership.

It's not even remotely practical for daily driving though, other than the fact that it probably gets 30mpg. There's a race track near me that always has tons of Lotus' running on the weekend, but I don't see many on the morning commute. It's a perfect track car, but far too much money for what you get. Maybe with the economy being so weird lately, the values will drop and I can pick one up under $30k.