Contaminated Fuel?

moby66

So, I gassed up my 2017 Camry LE on my way to work for a night shift on Dec 25, 2017 [about 44 Liters]. On Dec 27 day went out shopping and after driving about 40 km came home and parked my car in underground parking. On Dec 28, I tried starting my car, but it would not start although the engine cranked good. Long story short had to get the car towed to Toyota dealer late Friday evening.

On Saturday, the Service Rep called me at work and asked when last did I put fuel in my car? He said looks like I pumped diesel by mistake!! Upon replying how that was possible when the diesel nozzle is bigger than a gas nozzle, I was told not all gas stations observe that rule!! I was told that the fuel would have to be drained and the injectors will have to be cleaned and that would cost about $500 !! Stuck, I gave the go ahead. 

After work I went straight to the gas station and found out that they don't even dispense diesel at any of their pumps!!!

I am wondering, therefore, what could have caused the problem? Could it be frozen water in the fuel delivery system? [it was -3C in the underground garage when I tried starting the car] !! No fuel, no ignition. How could diesel enter the picture from a gas station that does not even sell diesel?

Stumped for an answer !! Please post your comments. Thanks.

Hi...welcome to the Forum

I think you may be correct about the temperature being so low that it could have affected the temperature sensor reading but otherwise I cannot imagine it is cross-contaminated unless the fuel station got the wrong fuel pumped into their tanks...which does happen.

Good luck with sorting it and let us know the outcome.

Cheers    Trevor