Headers for a 94 Camry 2.2 ??

jherentals

:unsure: Hi, I have seen a lot of ads for the Bosal Headers for my 94 Camry w/ the 2.2 Litre. My concern is that the old exhaust manifold looks like it has a catalytic converter built into it. .... Has anyone bought the Bosal headers and tried them? I am concerned that maybe the "check engine" light would come on if I put the headers on, or any other problems related to it, since the Bosal headers would delete the first converter. There is still a 2nd converter underneath the car. The "live chat" people who sell online parts are idiots and I don't trust them (ha ha but serious)

:unsure: Hi, I have seen a lot of ads for the Bosal Headers for my 94 Camry w/ the 2.2 Litre. My concern is that the old exhaust manifold looks like it has a catalytic converter built into it. .... Has anyone bought the Bosal headers and tried them? I am concerned that maybe the "check engine" light would come on if I put the headers on, or any other problems related to it, since the Bosal headers would delete the first converter. There is still a 2nd converter underneath the car. The "live chat" people who sell online parts are idiots and I don't trust them (ha ha but serious)

I haven't tried the headers...but I have removed catalytic converters before without any issues. I removed the catalytic converter from my Supra, and had no issues at all (other than the fact that it would never, ever pass emissions). Sometimes you have to watch out for problems with O2 sensors, but I think that should be about it.

I haven't tried the headers...but I have removed catalytic converters before without any issues. I removed the catalytic converter from my Supra, and had no issues at all (other than the fact that it would never, ever pass emissions). Sometimes you have to watch out for problems with O2 sensors, but I think that should be about it.

I don't have any problem w/ getting rid of the cat, but there are some "high flow" cats that would keep the car legal and clean and they supposedly breathe very well. My main concern is that I just don't want the check engine light to come on. I guess I could just disconnect the light. The headers from Bosal will delete the cat on the 94 camry (one of two. The first is built into the exhaust manifold apparently). The second one is the typical under-car cat that most all cars have. Anyway like I said I am just trying to figure out if it's worth it..........I definitely don't want the check engine light to come on, or to have other "computer" problems if I trash the cat that's built into the exhuast manifold when the headers go on.......I live in KS so smog is no big deal, esp if I stay w/ a high flow on the underside of the car.

I don't have any problem w/ getting rid of the cat, but there are some "high flow" cats that would keep the car legal and clean and they supposedly breathe very well. My main concern is that I just don't want the check engine light to come on. I guess I could just disconnect the light. The headers from Bosal will delete the cat on the 94 camry (one of two. The first is built into the exhaust manifold apparently). The second one is the typical under-car cat that most all cars have. Anyway like I said I am just trying to figure out if it's worth it..........I definitely don't want the check engine light to come on, or to have other "computer" problems if I trash the cat that's built into the exhuast manifold when the headers go on.......I live in KS so smog is no big deal, esp if I stay w/ a high flow on the underside of the car.

I think you probably have OBD1 with a 1994 model, so your worst problems would most likely be just the light on your dash...if that even happens.

• 3 weeks later...

He's got obd 1. He might not mind the check enging light coming on.

I got rid of the light anyway. I had EGR problems, disconnected the EGR. The car runs better than ever now, so I disable the Check Engine light. Hope to be buying the headers soon

Sounds like fun. Keep us posted on your mods!

Well I "fixed" the dash so the Check Engine light won't be bothering me again.....nothing a few extra parts and a drill can't "fix" haha. I am in the process of ordering the headers, they vary in price a lot but I finally found some Bosal's for like $385ish, so I'll let ya know. I'll replace everything all the way back to the rear bumper.

I think you probably have OBD1 with a 1994 model, so your worst problems would most likely be just the light on your dash...if that even happens.

Well I tried to "buy" the Bosals, many many websites. It is now a discontinued item. The reps all say that Bosal quit making them........low sales volume.......and no plans to make more. Wish I could find some un-used. I did put a thing on Ebay for "want it now" so we'll see wassup. Guess I'll just rat out the exhaust form the converter back............better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....it's been about a month. I've found out Bosal does not make the headers anymore. I took the Camry to Car-X and had bought some hardware on E-bay, and had it put on. I bought a 2 1/2 inch "high flow" converter from magna-flow, 2 1/2 inch piping and a magnaflow muffler with two 2 1/2 inch tailpipes. It looks and sounds great! It's not whiney like the bee-hives from those cheap coffee can chrome mufflers. It has a deeper "Porsche-like" sound and not too loud, it's just right. I am done w/ the mods now. My engine mods were a short-ram air intake, a performance chip which worked wonders, disconnecting the EGR system and getting rid of the "check engine" light completely. The Camry runs strong and awesome! I also previously did a deep window tint, tires/wheels and a wood-grain dash, and the HID/Xenon lights (well worth the $$). It looks respectfully nice but not pimped out, and now has a nice subtle rumble with the oversized pipe and free-flowing exhaust.