More stalling problems

organic

My 98 Camry has developed stalling problems similar to all the ones listed in various forums. My car tends to stall on initial start up when it is cold, and continues to stall untill it has fully heated up. Then ocasionally I get a slight rpm change and slight buck when driving normally. Does the fact that it seems linked to temp. make the coolant temp. sensor the likley cause? Can any of the other candidates ( EGR Valve - Coil - Idle Speed Control - Idle Air control ) act up this way? I need help, where should I start?

I work in a fleet that has Toyota camry. Today we fixed a stalling problem and the way we fixed it might be worth a try for you.

He took the throttle body off the plenum chamber/intake manifold (big french bread shaped, aluminum casting the throttle body attaches to) to clean it. I think you could do an acceptable job with out removing it though.

The mechanic showed me a part of the throttle body that regulates air, its the idle air control valve. There is a small valve on this part and it was dirty. After a while it gets clogged by carbon etc. from the PCV blowby and doesnt let enough air pass at idle. So you have to clean it off once in a while. The mechanic used spray can carb cleaner to clean the throttle body. To find the throttle body trace the big plastic tube from the air filter and it is the first metal part it clamps to. Its the part with the throttle linkage in it.

Remove the big plastic tube from the air filter. (You should be able to see the butterfly valve) and use a whole can of spray cleaner in there. Clean the throttle butterfly, and remove all the fuel and vauum hoses on it and spray in there too. Use a rag to clean it as much as you can in there. Compressed air is good if you have it, it will save a lot of work. Just soak everything you can get to on the throttle body to clean it. And prop the butterfly open to let the solvent evaporate. Then put everything back together.

It might run rough for a minute as the spray cleaner gets burned off but after that it should idle smoothly (if the dirty IAC valve wass indeed the problem and not something else)

Which engine and how many miles are on it?

I have the 4 cyl. it has 130,000 on it. I did the usual things first, new plugs, wires, and fuel filter. the problem remained. I just changed the temp sensor cause it was the cheapest and easiest to do. It seemed to help but no more stalling at cold idle, but the car still seems a little sluggish. I'm going to try the cleaning method mentioned by marc780

I work in a fleet that has Toyota camry. Today we fixed a stalling problem and the way we fixed it might be worth a try for you.

He took the throttle body off the plenum chamber/intake manifold (big french bread shaped, aluminum casting the throttle body attaches to) to clean it. I think you could do an acceptable job with out removing it though.

The mechanic showed me a part of the throttle body that regulates air, its the idle air control valve. There is a small valve on this part and it was dirty. After a while it gets clogged by carbon etc. from the PCV blowby and doesnt let enough air pass at idle. So you have to clean it off once in a while. The mechanic used spray can carb cleaner to clean the throttle body. To find the throttle body trace the big plastic tube from the air filter and it is the first metal part it clamps to. Its the part with the throttle linkage in it.

Remove the big plastic tube from the air filter. (You should be able to see the butterfly valve) and use a whole can of spray cleaner in there. Clean the throttle butterfly, and remove all the fuel and vauum hoses on it and spray in there too. Use a rag to clean it as much as you can in there. Compressed air is good if you have it, it will save a lot of work. Just soak everything you can get to on the throttle body to clean it. And prop the butterfly open to let the solvent evaporate. Then put everything back together.

It might run rough for a minute as the spray cleaner gets burned off but after that it should idle smoothly (if the dirty IAC valve wass indeed the problem and not something else)

Thanks so much, your description is clear and it sounds easy enough to do, much better than buying parts and hoping to hit on the right one. I will do it this weekend and let you know how I made out

I have the 4 cyl. it has 130,000 on it. I did the usual things first, new plugs, wires, and fuel filter. the problem remained. I just changed the temp sensor cause it was the cheapest and easiest to do. It seemed to help but no more stalling at cold idle, but the car still seems a little sluggish. I'm going to try the cleaning method mentioned by marc780

Thanks so much, your description is clear and it sounds easy enough to do, much better than buying parts and hoping to hit on the right one. I will do it this weekend and let you know how I made out

Wow!! I did the cleaning on the butterfly and sprayed cleaner in the chamber and thru all the vac. lines. After 130000 miles it was filthy in there!! My car now runs like new - what a difference!! I would recommend this simple procedure to everyone with high milage. Thanks marc780 and to everyone who responded, this is a great website.