Valve knocking.

RIP

I have a 2007 Camry, on cold start ups I hear what I think is the valves knocking for a split second till the oil gets circulating, what can it be, what can I do, is it something to even worry about? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Depends on a few things. What is the condition of the engine and the mileage?  Is this a new problem or a long term issue? Piston slap during cold start on a Camry is not common in my experience.  Rod knocking at start up would be indicitave of a very worn engine but once again, is this a new problem or a long term issue. If new issue, I would change oil and use a Toyota or another high quality oil filter with the correct anti drain back valve and go from there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We just recently purchased it with 93000 miles on it and it is in very good condition, the oil was clean but had it changed anyways and had the proper spec Valvoline oil put in the filter they use they said is made by Valvoline.