"Line in" connection to stereo system

ffar

I have a '96 Avalon with a 3 CD changer stereo below a AM/FM casette. I don't know the model number, but it may not matter. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to connect an iPod to the stereo using the "line out" connection from the iPod (I'm currently connecting via an FM transmitter hooked through XM radio system, but want better sound quality). What I'm hoping is that the CD player connects to the radio/casette with line level signals and, if so, perhaps simply splicing a connector into the wiring harness between the two units would allow me too use the line out/in connection. Anybody have any ideas in this area.

I'm hoping to soon purchase an '01 Avalon and would like to be able to do the same thing on that car.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• 5 weeks later...

your best bet would probably be to search for a company called "Logjam". they make aux-input adapters that plug right into the factory wiring harness on most cars (so theres no cutting and splicing wires). it will give you a set of RCA input plugs so you can plug anything with a "line out" or headphone jack into it and pipe it through your car stereo system. i believe the price range is about $50-$90 (with most being about $70), and from what i have read from people who have tried them, they are infinitly better than FM modulators since its a direct feed and not just transmitted to the radio. i am looking at getting one myself so i can hook up my laptop for GPS voice directions and watching movies.

• 11 months later...

I have a '96 Avalon with a 3 CD changer stereo below a AM/FM casette. I don't know the model number, but it may not matter. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to connect an iPod to the stereo using the "line out" connection from the iPod (I'm currently connecting via an FM transmitter hooked through XM radio system, but want better sound quality). What I'm hoping is that the CD player connects to the radio/casette with line level signals and, if so, perhaps simply splicing a connector into the wiring harness between the two units would allow me too use the line out/in connection. Anybody have any ideas in this area.

I'm hoping to soon purchase an '01 Avalon and would like to be able to do the same thing on that car.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You can also check out the links to companies that offer the aftermarket connections to have the Ipod connected to your stereo. If you go to Apple.com and look up under the Ipod section they give you links to the companies and you can see who makes connectors for your car and how they work. I am thinking of getting one hooked up for my sequoia.