2000 Camry Brake noise

OKWilly

Has anyone had brake pads/shoes replaced on ca. 2000 Camry recently? My new pads/shoes are squeaking worse than the old/worn ones, and I'm getting a thunking from the right rear shoe, particularly when cold. Have they changed the composition of brake pads, or did my dealer mess up the job??

Has anyone had brake pads/shoes replaced on ca. 2000 Camry recently? My new pads/shoes are squeaking worse than the old/worn ones, and I'm getting a thunking from the right rear shoe, particularly when cold. Have they changed the composition of brake pads, or did my dealer mess up the job??

Squeaking could just be from the type of brake pads, but the thunking noise sounds bad. I'd get that checked out.

Sorry, Steve. I don't know. The local dealer did the job. Squeaks like heck in the mornings, then it's somewhat less after I've used them a few times.

--OK Willy

Do you drive your car frequently, or is it every few days? Do you live in a fairly humid area? Is it possible there's a slight rust build up?

Sounds like the dealer used a semi metallic with a hard compound. Or maybe left shims off. And yes, i always ALWAYS use the blue goo, it only took one episode of squealing brakes to make me a believer.

Id have them change the pads to something closer to OEM pads, dont really need metallics unless you drive hills alot or just drive really hard.

Heres what i think the thunking sound may be, maybe the wheel cylinder on that wheel is sticky. Or maybe even worse, missing parts or sticky self adjustors that didnt get cleaned and greased properly. Did you have the drums turned or replaced? If not, maybe you need a new drum (theyre not too expensive).