Timing Belt

Clayman2

My '03 Camry XLE V6 is approaching 90,000 miles...time to change the timing belt. I've heard pros and cons about replacing the water pump at the same time...saves labor $$$ if it fails before the next timing belt change.

Any comments from you "experts" out there?

I would change it out since you have to take the water pump out to get to the timing belt, like I always say, better safe than sorry. It'll save you some $$$ down the road if the water pump fails right after you installed your timing belt, it's Murphy's Law. :P

• 1 month later...

I go along with the people that say change it. Its a lot of trouble to rip it apart again and most water pumps do not last anywhere near 90 k you have on your engine. So i'd change the water pump too.

If you use an OEM toyota pump it might last another 90 000 long, enough to get you to the next timing belt change.

I go along with the people that say change it. Its a lot of trouble to rip it apart again and most water pumps do not last anywhere near 90 k you have on your engine. So i'd change the water pump too.

If you use an OEM toyota pump it might last another 90 000 long, enough to get you to the next timing belt change.

Most water pumps don't last 90k...but keep in mind we're talking Toyota here. My Camry water pump was never replaced...175k and still running smooth!!

Absolutley. My 1994 Corolla had very high mileage with no water pump problems.

Incidentally, probably one of the worst water pump designs was the two piece Pontiac V8 pump with the aluminum spacer in it. Totally stupid design. I can only imagine what they were smoking in Detroit at that time.

Absolutley. My 1994 Corolla had very high mileage with no water pump problems.

Incidentally, probably one of the worst water pump designs was the two piece Pontiac V8 pump with the aluminum spacer in it. Totally stupid design. I can only imagine what they were smoking in Detroit at that time.

Pontiac is renowned for some of the worst ideas ever...can you say "Quad4 engine"? Or maybe a quick visual of a Fiero burning to the ground on the side of the road?

Yeah: or for that matter, the GTO with the three two-barrelled carb on the 389 engine. Pontiac had a lot of those cars catch fire before they figured out the difference between vacum and mechanically operated secondaries.

Just another example of fine General Motors cars...when will they come to their senses and build a decent car? Toyota went in and taught Porsche how to build cars, and now they're one of the highest quality cars on the road. Maybe GM should hire Toyota for a little consulting work....??

Yeah, Big Blue should certainly do that. But for the present, they are in bed with Daewoo. So the Koreans are teaching them a few things to start them off. But Detroit will never be emotionally content with learning from the land of the morning calm, you know?

Daewoo...there's yet another great decision. Toyota is the best partnership they've ever had, with the Prizm, the Nova, and the Vibe. They have great success with those cars...why don't they get a clue and do away with the unsuccessful partners (ie, Isuzu, Daewoo, Suzuki, etc.)?

I think GM just sold its 8% ownership stake in Isuzu, like less than a week ago. As for Suzuki, I think they make some engines for GM, but that's about the extent of it. But I predict that the Daewoo cars will get better. Just as the Hyundai cars are better than they were just a couple of years ago. It's a bit scary that we are going to make the Hyundais right here in GA.

I think GM just sold its 8% ownership stake in Isuzu, like less than a week ago. As for Suzuki, I think they make some engines for GM, but that's about the extent of it. But I predict that the Daewoo cars will get better. Just as the Hyundai cars are better than they were just a couple of years ago. It's a bit scary that we are going to make the Hyundais right here in GA.

Kia & Hyundai have come a long way...you're probably right about Daewoo, assuming they can actually regain some legitimacy as automakers. At least it'll help the Georgia economy. It'll be interesting to see what the factory is like with GM as a mentor. A Toyota plant is very clean, nicely landscaped outside, etc., but a GM plant (at least the ones I've seen) is typically older, dark, dirty, and has a football-field size lot outside full of cars that reached the end of the assembly line with a problem or two.

Yes, they do look like that. They are closing the GM plant here in Doraville (ATL suburb). I toured the factory once a couple of years ago and the very day I toured it...a Pontiac Safari van body fell off the assembly line, stopping the day's production for 3 hours.

It made me think that all GM cars fell off the assembly line during production.

But I do think that Hyundai can become a competitor to TOY on the level of Honda, if Hyundai can keep their executives from being constantly indicted for slush funds, bribery, associated firms being raided by prosecutors, etc.

Sure, it will take them time, but the Koreans have a saying: Mal hanmadiro chun-rang bit kapneunda.

One word can repay a thousand nyang debt. Which means even if you get in trouble, you can get out of trouble, if you are honest and articulate.

You're right about Hyundai quality, but I think it'll be a long time before they live down their old reputation of really crappy cars...even though the new stuff is great.

You're talking about the Sonata. I drove one that belongs to a friend of mine a few months ago. A brand new one. The one thing I noticed about it is that Camrys have a reputation for the brake pedal feeling "mushy"...but the Sonata was TOO tight. It was like touching the brake anymore than needed made me think I was going to lock up the brakes. And my Camry handles a little better than the Sonata did.