Prius Cold Weather Rattle

Ron

• 1 year later...

I have a very similar situation, but mine definitely sounds like it on the left driver's side under the console, or where the door meets the console, and it's definitely more audible when the car is cold. Seems to be completely random - accelerating or braking doesn't seem to spark it. It's a 2007, about 500 miles. I figured I would just ask about it when I take it in for maintenance.

There is a noticeable intermittent rattle/chatter on the right rear and occasionally directly under the front console in cold/snowy/icy weather. Only happens in cold conditions. Anyone else experience this? Cause/fix?

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone's interested or experiencing similar, I took my car into the dealer and at first they could not detect the buzz/rattle. I took a test drive with them and repeatedly pointed out the sound, which they finally heard audibly when they were in the driver's seat. The pattern seemed to be when first accelerating and when braking (though I think I've noticed it at other times too). He suspected that it was the electric engine kicking in and that it was normal. We test drove another prius and found the same buzzing/rattling. So it was deemed to be normal noise caused by the electric engine.

Has no one else noticed this noise coming from the driver's side (left under the dash)?

Jim

• 2 years later...
There is a noticeable intermittent rattle/chatter on the right rear and occasionally directly under the front console in cold/snowy/icy weather. Only happens in cold conditions. Anyone else experience this? Cause/fix?

I have a 2007 and took it to the dealer in North Austin, TX who wasted a full day of my time. The service manager told me they will fix the problem. When I went to the shop at the appointed time the rattle was not fixed. All they had done was to take the car for a ride and confirmed the problem. They they just sat there doing nothing. I complained to the service manager who told me they do not want me to come back and did not want my business. I complained to the owner, he said he can stop servicing any one he did not like (Chales Maund Toyota). Complained to Toyota USA, they were defending the dealer. Was frustrated with the whole damn idea of going through Toyota system that I wanted to get an attorney involved and sue the hell out of them when I realized I am wasting my time. This happened about 4 months ago.

I fixed the problem myself by inserting a few strips of foam between the dash and the top of the plastic covering the odometer area. I will never go to the Toyota system for service again. I am changing oil in a nice private garage.

Am glad that Prius is the best technology in the market and up to 100K miles, it needs nothing but liquid change. So, I like the car but hate the abusive dealers. Hopefully, their behavior will weed them out of the system. Best

I have a 2007 and took it to the dealer in North Austin, TX who wasted a full day of my time. The service manager told me they will fix the problem. When I went to the shop at the appointed time the rattle was not fixed. All they had done was to take the car for a ride and confirmed the problem. They they just sat there doing nothing. I complained to the service manager who told me they do not want me to come back and did not want my business. I complained to the owner, he said he can stop servicing any one he did not like (Chales Maund Toyota). Complained to Toyota USA, they were defending the dealer. Was frustrated with the whole damn idea of going through Toyota system that I wanted to get an attorney involved and sue the hell out of them when I realized I am wasting my time. This happened about 4 months ago.

I fixed the problem myself by inserting a few strips of foam between the dash and the top of the plastic covering the odometer area. I will never go to the Toyota system for service again. I am changing oil in a nice private garage.

Am glad that Prius is the best technology in the market and up to 100K miles, it needs nothing but liquid change. So, I like the car but hate the abusive dealers. Hopefully, their behavior will weed them out of the system. Best

A couple observations:

1.) Squeaks, rattles, and small noises are the hardest thing to fix in any car. They are more difficult to isolate and properly fix than any mechanical issue. It's good that you were able to repair the issue yourself.

2.) Dealers get paid to fix your car...if you pay them or if Toyota pays them, they get paid...it's not like they're repairing your car for free even if it's a warranty repair issue. They don't care where the money comes from. If they did not want to fix your car, there may have been a little more to your story?

• 1 year later...

A couple observations:

1.) Squeaks, rattles, and small noises are the hardest thing to fix in any car. They are more difficult to isolate and properly fix than any mechanical issue. It's good that you were able to repair the issue yourself.

2.) Dealers get paid to fix your car...if you pay them or if Toyota pays them, they get paid...it's not like they're repairing your car for free even if it's a warranty repair issue. They don't care where the money comes from. If they did not want to fix your car, there may have been a little more to your story?

I just read this. I suppose by now you know Toyota has been dragged through Congress and is paying through the nose for its negligence and shoddy work. When consumers are given shaft, they shaft back. Best,

Yes, Toyota has been dragged through Congress. However, so have Ford, GM, and Chrysler, and to date, any one of them has far more recalls, including safety recalls, than Toyota. I don't know if you heard, but the same US supplier that caused Toyota to have issues with pedals also supplied Chrysler, who very quietly recalled a ton of cars for exactly the same problem.