High RPMs connected to knock sensors?

littledaizee16

I have a 2002 Highlander (V6, 4WD) and last week the check engine light came on. Went and got it tested and it threw the P0330 and p0325 codes for the knock sensors. Which I'm making plans to get replaced. 

Now this week, when driving on the highway the RPMs will occasionally be at 4thousand. When I stop and restart the car the problem seems to stop for that trip. Is this irregular RPMs potentially connected to the knock sensor codes I got? Or does this sound like another problem.....?

Also, would knock sensors be an ok part to pick up from the Pick-a-Part? They seem to be pretty expensive brand new and there are two in this vehicle...just looking for more economic options.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I actually created an account just to reply to this topic. I had the exact same issue in my 2001 Toyota Highlander V6. If you get on the interstate or motorway with a cold engine it gives you no issue right? It doesn't start acting up until the engine heats up and you come out of top gear which I believe in your car would be 4th. The issue is the knock sensor, the engine's computer is malfunctioning due to that sensor and as a result it doesn't know to up shift. I find that keeping the car in "ETC SNOW" setting helps with this issue but isn't a permanent fix. For me this issue was the final nail in the coffin for my poor beat up 01 so I sold it and got an 05 Highlander V6. You might want to do the same. As for getting the sensors from a pull apart the issue is that this sensor is buried deep in the engine so you better be ready to spend the day there taking apart an engine! Hopefully this video helps you! Have a good one!

Awesome! Thanks so much for your input! I've got the sensors ordered and the dealer I bought it from is going to put them in for me for free..so I'm gonna hope this fixes the issue before giving up on her! haha 

Thanks again tho, I really appreciate it!!