2013 Toyota Venza xle

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2013 Venza it has has push button start. Is there anyway to lock the car with it running? Occasionally I like to lock the car running with the air on to make a quick stop after walking my dogs at the park only a few minutes but where I live it is always too hot to leave the dog in the car with only the windows open even for five minutes. I tried having the car running and then pushed lock doors on the key fob but didn't work.

Interesting. In California, recently passed legislation has made it illegal (and it rises to a felony in certain circumstances) to leave one's animals in an unoccupied car. Whether the windows are cracked open and/or the A/C is running is irrelevant. Strange that similar legislation is just now being created about leaving one's kids in a car. While it may seem convenient, locking the vehicle while it is running is usually not a good idea. However, "remote start" is an option that might fit the bill, especially in cold climates.

I think its true that locking the animals in the car is probably not the best idea but does make it easier if your traveling by yourself and need to go in to get a motel room etc.... I would never leave them in the car for any long length of time because if the car stalled they could die from the heat. It just seems that there are a few occasions when it makes things easier, but it probably isn't the best idea in the world.

As far as locking the car when its running I was told that if you lock all the doors from inside the car then get out and use the key from the fob to lock the driver door that it is possible to lock the car that way, however I haven't tried yet. We shall see. I also read that people with remote starts were having problems as there was a system in place that only let the car run for fifteen minutes. Not sure about that either as I've never had a remote start.