Is highlander 2015 reliable?

bigdump

I plan to buy a new 2015 highlander as my second car. For the AWD LE model, I got a quota about $31037.0 from local dealers. It is not the best one compared with some shared prices by others in autopriceshare. However, Since it is lower than invoice price, I think it is fair. My last car is 2002 CRV and it is really reliable. For the 2015 highlander, I am not familiar with it. People in this forum must know highlander well. In your opinion, is 2015 highlander AWD LE reliable? Are there any common problems with this model? Thanks, friends

• 2 months later...

Sure hope so, as I'm considering a HL-LE/LE Plus, 2wd. Hi all, first post here as I just joined up since I'm in the market for a Toyota now. Just went to test drive a '16 Kia Sorento on Friday, nice mid-sized SUV. I drove the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl to compare. I could live with the 4cyl OK, although I'm in a '08 Honda Pilot now. Just so used to driving 6 cyl autos for past few years.

Was just test driving so didn't fight hard for any purchase terms on the Sorento's. And as usual, I had to school the young sales-dude on the Sorento features. He didn't know what DRL meant when I asked him about that. Really? And you sell these things?

So on the way home I dropped into my local Toyota dealer. I've been wanting to re-test drive a 4Runner. THey had no 4runners on lot. As I walked about I notice a silver, HL-LE. Looked way bigger than the Sorento I just tested. Got a salesman to let me test her out. Very nice. And again, I surprised the sales-dude when I told him this HL has a 4 cyl engine. This is a big auto for a 4cyl but once you got going, it was pretty capable. I don't ever tow anything so maybe the 4 cyl could work for me. Last Toyota I owned was my '03 Tacoma 4dr, SR5/TRD, 6cyl. Great little truck, had 99K miles when I traded it for my new '12 Honda Ridgeline.

After the dealer add ons of running boards, chrome bumper protector strip. $129 for that little strip of metal? Hmm? Anyway the price was about $31K, I offered em $28,700, they said no and didn't counter with another price. That was the MSRP+add ons price I saw on sticker, so no way. I left. I'm seeing better prices online for this same auto with the 6 cyl engine, that's a better deal. All I've read online so far says the 6cyl is the way to go with this big SUV. I'm not in a hurry for a new auto, Pilot is serving me well and it's paid off. But I'll go back in Spring or Summer to take another look at the Highlander. I was that impressed. Peace y'all. e.

Well, I was about to go pick up my new 15 Highlander LE V6 today. I was just checking back into the Kia Members site to see if they replied to my question I had posed earlier this week. A member saw where I had been thinking of buying either the '15 Highlander or the '15 or '16 Sorento.

He attached a Utube video and a thread on the ToyNation site about a issue with AC servo motors. So many members had the same complaint of the very annoying noise this was making in their days/weeks old Highlanders. The video showed me how loud this constant sound would be and members all have said Toyota service has said this was normal operation and offer no fix for it. Others say the AC takes too long to start cooling off once the HL is started up.

When I test drove a 15 HL last Friday, it was a very hot day. So we started up the HL and I walked around the HL with salesman to let the AC cool the car before we drove off. Several minutes passed and the AC was still throwing hot air from the front vents. We pushed some buttons, knobs and felt the cool air. Salesman said he thought it was blowing air into the very rear of the car and that's why it took so long. I'm not sure that was the case. Once going on our test drive I didn't notice any odd noise. But many say the noise was not there til after they bought their HL's and drove it a few miles.

I canceled my apptmnt to go test drive the HL LE 6cyl for the first time. My test was with a 4cyl and I really feel this big car needs at least the 6 to drive well. I may go see how the 6cyl HL drives but I'll be listening for that AC noise or other. And it seems most with the problem have upgraded HL's with auto climate control AC. I don't think my LE has that. I was ready to go pick up my HL today. Many say other than this issue they love their new HLs but they jjust cant live with that noise. So I keep shopping again.

• 6 months later...