Turbocharging '94 Tercel 3EE

Shemp

Hey,

Recently the motor in my '94 Tercel went south and now I have a fairly new (only 30k miles) 3EE I'm putting in soon. I'm looking for a little extra power and one of the routes I was thinking about taking was turbocharging the engine. I'm only looking to run a low amount of boost (I want to keep the stock internals), somewhere in the realm of 4 to 6psi . This is going to be a daily driver so it has to be reliable. There does not seem to be any kits made for the 3EE, so is turbocharging this engine feasible? Perhaps a custom job? What exactly would I need to get to do this?

Any information anyone might have will be much appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Shemp

Hey,

Recently the motor in my '94 Tercel went south and now I have a fairly new (only 30k miles) 3EE I'm putting in soon. I'm looking for a little extra power and one of the routes I was thinking about taking was turbocharging the engine. I'm only looking to run a low amount of boost (I want to keep the stock internals), somewhere in the realm of 4 to 6psi . This is going to be a daily driver so it has to be reliable. There does not seem to be any kits made for the 3EE, so is turbocharging this engine feasible? Perhaps a custom job? What exactly would I need to get to do this?

Thanks,

Shemp

I think the biggest problem you're going to have is that the turbo parts and installation cost will be far and above the value of the car, partly because it'll be custom work, partly because turbos are EXPENSIVE...are you sure you want to go that route? On the plus side, it could be a real sleeper!

I think the biggest problem you're going to have is that the turbo parts and installation cost will be far and above the value of the car, partly because it'll be custom work, partly because turbos are EXPENSIVE...are you sure you want to go that route? On the plus side, it could be a real sleeper!

I'm going to be doing the installation myself, so that should cut down on the cost a bit. Since there isn't (at least I haven't found) a specific kit for the 3EE, the biggest problem is finding out what I'm going to need to put a custom kit together, and then acquiring the parts. I've just never turbocharged a car, and I'm just not sure of everything I'm going to need to make this work.

I know people usually swap in a different engine when they want more power, but I work with what I have. What else could I do to add more power, but still keep it reliable?

Thanks,

Shemp

Tacoma section? Couldnt find it.

All I really need to know is what goes into a Turbo kit, so I can start buying parts.

Some of my big questions are:

Will I need an intercooler?

Any electronic management needed?

I should be getting bigger, injecters, fuil rail, manifold and oil system parts soon. I need to know whet else I will need.

Besides the obvious...a turbo :P

• 2 years later...
Hey,

Thanks,

Shemp

From experience dont waste you time on the 3ee. Swap a 4efte or a 5efhe in.