Check Engine Light

Gardner Neely

Guys:

Neophyte Matrix owner here, with a 1ZZ- FE engine 1.8 Liter.

Car is now in Toyota dealership with 4th visit for same orange check engine light on dash, problem.

6 codes reported, mostly on emissions system. Warrenty work, so I will not sweat this too much, but I ran into 2 toyota owners with same complaint at the service dept. .

I was told that the pressure from the gas tank cap was too loose. Can I fix with Teflon tape to create better seal on the gas cap? They reset the codes via the computer analyser, and it happened again, and again. Finally service writer said bring in next time for replacing the charcoal cannester, emissions system. Cost 270+/- part, + labor.

1999 Camry, first time complaint, was told by service dept that the overfilling after gas pump shuts off can cause problem.

Saw a post on cnn.com about Oxygen Sensor needing replacement, see below.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliabil...ta&model=Matrix

Any suggestions?

Gardner

An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Oxygen Sensor, 1ZZ-FE engine only. Failure of the Oxygen Sensor will cause the check engine light to illuminate. The cost to replace the Oxygen Sensor is estimated at $125.57 for parts and $71.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Guys:

Car is now in Toyota dealership with 4th visit for same orange check engine light on dash, problem.

6 codes reported, mostly on emissions system. Warrenty work, so I will not sweat this too much, but I ran into 2 toyota owners with same complaint at the service dept. .

I was told that the pressure from the gas tank cap was too loose. Can I fix with Teflon tape to create better seal on the gas cap? They reset the codes via the computer analyser, and it happened again, and again. Finally service writer said bring in next time for replacing the charcoal cannester, emissions system. Cost 270+/- part, + labor.

1999 Camry, first time complaint, was told by service dept that the overfilling after gas pump shuts off can cause problem.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliabil...ta&model=Matrix

Any suggestions?

Gardner

An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Oxygen Sensor, 1ZZ-FE engine only. Failure of the Oxygen Sensor will cause the check engine light to illuminate. The cost to replace the Oxygen Sensor is estimated at $125.57 for parts and $71.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

This doesn't answer all your questions, but the simplest way to help prevent fuel pressure related check engine lights is to make sure your gas cap clicks closed a couple times when you close it.

• 1 year later...

Apologies on reviving another old thread.....

What were the 6 codes? :huh:

If all or most were emissions related, most likely the dealership will cover the repair costs.

If not, find out what parts are needed and then shop & compare else where.

As stated I have a 2003 Matrix - 80k miles - and still on the original oxygen sensor.

So far so good. :D

• 2 months later...
Guys:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliabil...mp;model=Matrix

Any suggestions?

Gardner

I have had similar problems on ther Toyotas (I have 3) I put a little Vaseline on the o-ring that is in the gas cap and it helped a lot. Try that.

This doesn't answer all your questions, but the simplest way to help prevent fuel pressure related check engine lights is to make sure your gas cap clicks closed a couple times when you close it.

crap.

gas tank cap doesn't affect fuel pressure that much. It's the EVAP system that causes the MIL to come on. We have the same problem with '01 Saab 9-3 Convertibles at the GM. When the pressure inside the gas tank drops, the EVAP system reports a gasoline fumes leak.

Even if it clicks it's not a sign that it's sealing the tank well it shoud turn tight while clicking. If it's loose while clicking - bad gas tank cap. It causes alot of DTCs to show up. We are putting new gas caps at the dealership. But if you are fixing it for yourself, just put the gasket or something.

• 1 year later...

We've found if we just wait it out, got sick of running to the dealership. That it goes off all on its own. Most of the time it takes 3 days. We live in Michigan and we also found the extreme cold in the morning (below 15 degrees farenheit) would make the engine light come on and it wouldn't go off for a few days. Now that it's warm again we're not seeing the little orange beastie!!

Jenn

Holly, MI

2004 Matrix

We've found if we just wait it out, got sick of running to the dealership. That it goes off all on its own. Most of the time it takes 3 days. We live in Michigan and we also found the extreme cold in the morning (below 15 degrees farenheit) would make the engine light come on and it wouldn't go off for a few days. Now that it's warm again we're not seeing the little orange beastie!!

Jenn

Holly, MI

2004 Matrix

What was the CEL code?

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for the Matrix for cold start ups.