A question about my '88 Carolla FX

Hi all,

I am a new member with a question about a problem with my 1988 Corolla FX.

While cruising along about 65 mph, my speedometer speed indication dropped to zero. After several minuets (at the same speed) the needle fluctuated slightly and indicated the proper speed for about two minuets and quit again. It has not operated properly again. About 15 minuets later while traveling in traffic running about 35 to 40 miles per hour, the steering wheel, following a very slight adjusting movement to the right, snatched an uncommanded hard right turn that I was able to recover from with a strong grip on the steering wheel. Within seconds, I encountered an uncommanded hard turn to the left which I was able to recover from with a strong input to the right. For the next three or four moments, the uncommanded turns continued until I parked the car at the store I was headed for.

Upon re-starting the car after about 20 minuets, the car operated properly for the next 15 minuets although there was a high pitch chirping noise from time to time which seemed to come from the engine area. Upon arriving home, I shut it down and the next morning, I checked the fluid level in the power steering unit to find it very slightly below the cold level indicator on the stick.

Does anyone have any experience with such a happening? If any ideas, I would appreciate your input.

Best regards,

Airwolf