Hi, I'm a new Camry owner. This is the first Toyota i have ever owned. Well, better late than never, right?

Anyone have some winter weather tips for me? In a few months my poor new car will have to deal with not having a garage to be nice and safe and warm in. Does it require a lot of warm up time in the morning?

I just got the car 3 weeks ago with 39 miles on itl; it now has about 750.

Thanks!

Hi Michelle

It should NOT need a lot of warm-up time. I give mine maybe 60 seconds of idle time to get the oil flowing, that's about it. Just drive it gently for a few miles while the engine continues to warm up.

Make sure you have the right grade of oil for your climate. (If the car was purchased through a real Toyota dealer in your area, this should be OK already.

Make sure the coolant is mixed correctly for your climate. Again, the dealer should have done this.

My car is a 2011 Camry SE and it has been totally trouble free. The brakes warped at about 35,000 miles and the dealer replaced them "under warranty" which was nice. Otherwise, I just get minor checkups every 10,000 miles and the car has taken me everywhere. Oh, this year she needed new tires and a new battery. But that's normal at 65,000 miles.

Enjoy!

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for your reply, that's very helpful! Always important to understand how to take care of your new car right from the start! I figure I will do my usual winter routine since I do not have a garage but park outside in front of my townhouse. Start the car with my extra/valet key and let it run for the 2-3 minutes it takes to scrap frost/ice off windows and/or brush snow off, then take off for work!

Are you using synthetic oil? I understand that means an oil change every 10,000 miles but I'm using regular so that's every 5,000 miles. Wow, thanks for the warning about brakes, I'll make sure they really inspect them as I get close to the 30,000 end of warranty.

Your original battery lasted 65,000 miles? That's also pretty good! I usually replace car batteries every 2 years here in the Chicago area. I only drive about 10,000 miles a year; my round trip work commute is only 24 miles per day.

Michelle,

Snow? Not a problem here. In some parts of California, it is, but not here.

Synthetic oil: Yes, it came with synthetic oil and the manufacturer says it can go 10,000 miles between oil changes, so it makes it very easy to remember. The syn. oil costs almost twice as much but if it lasts twice as long, it's worth it. Plus it means fewer trips to the dealer.

While getting your oil changed every 10,000 miles, look at your maintenance book very carefully. See what the mfr. (Toyota) recommends. The dealer will want to sell you a variety of little "extra" service procedures, most of which can wait. Be careful in comparing what they suggest, to what the mfr. really says is necessary.

Battery: Yes, if you are in a cold climate, the battery will die sooner. Just a fact of life.

Cheers,

Greg