2014.5 Camry iPod issue

harley1098

I recently purchased a 2014.5 Camry XLE. I am having issues with the iPod Classic playing in the audio system. I connected the iPod Classic to the USB in the dash and it played one song before I shut the car off. When I started the car, the iPod was frozen and would not work. I t would not charge, even at home in the wall outlet. I connected to iTunes and was able to restart the iPod and reload all the music. Yesterday I put the iPod back in the Camry and it worked for a while. I shut off and started the car numerous times with no problems. on the 17th song I started the car and it froze up again. When this happens, on the main menu, it does not show and iPod being connected. Is this a known problem, and if so, what is my fix? Thanks.

Harley1098

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I have had problems with my ipod classic too. it will suddently freeze and stop playing the ipod unless I reset the ipod. However, I attribute this to the fact that I bought a used ipod classic and it was not a new one. It works fine otherwise.

I don't think it's the Toyota. I am going to download songs onto an ipod nano I have that I purchased new a few years ago but have barely used and hopefully it will work fine in the car. No more buying used ipods for me!

michelette1959-

My Toyota dealership told me that in the manual it says that there are certain software versions of the iPod Classic that might not work. Evidently, it is the Toyota. I now use an old iTouch and it works fine.

Perhaps that's true. My Ipod nano is working fine in the car; no freeze-ups with it. I have the latest software installed on my ipod classic but it's an older model. I think 5th gen. Eventually I will get a new ipod classic but I only do that when the current one is completely useless to me. So for now I'm determined to just reset the ipod when it freezes up in the car. Not a huge deal but certainly a minor annoyance.

Also, Harley, I suggest that you turn off your audio and unplug your ipod Classic before turning the car off. This should keep it from freezing up when you plug it back in and start the car the next time.

Is yours an older iPod Classic like mine is? Perhaps we'll both get rid of this problem when we eventually get new ipods.

When the outside temp (I do not have a garage) is not at either a hot or cold extreme, I leave my extra usb cables for the iphone and ipod plugged in and keep the dioor down. I bought a 12- volt usb adaptor for that area to keep my iphone charged while I am driving around. So for now, I just take the ipod and of course iphone with me. But when it starts to get near freezing at night, I will take the cables in with me so they don't get destroyed and need replacement any more frequently than they normally do.

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a 2014.5 Camry XLE. I am having issues with the iPod Classic playing in the audio system. I connected the iPod Classic to the USB in the dash and it played one song before I shut the car off. When I started the car, the iPod was frozen and would not work. I t would not charge, even at home in the wall outlet. I connected to iTunes and was able to restart the iPod and reload all the music. Yesterday I put the iPod back in the Camry and it worked for a while. I shut off and started the car numerous times with no problems. on the 17th song I started the car and it froze up again. When this happens, on the main menu, it does not show and iPod being connected. Is this a known problem, and if so, what is my fix? Thanks.

Harley1098

I just traded my 2013 for a 2015 with ETune and am experiencing the same problem. On a recent road trip, I made sure and disconnected before turning in and it still does it. I then let the iPod Classic 160 I have run without being cinnected and it ran overnight until the battery ran down, twice, but still has the same problem of locking up when connected to the car. The dealer says there is no fix and it has to be my iPod.

Hi Harley,

My ipod classic finally died (it was an older refurbished one) so since I am now using Spotify to get all of my music when I'm out and about, I decided to put my ipod nano 8 gig back into use to keep my "favorites" playlist on for longer road trips when I don't want to use up my smartphone data time. I have no problems with it. I won't be getting another ipod classic.

Michelle