P0440, P0441, P0446 + Unable to fuel vehicle

02eco

G'day All,

Looking for some serious help with my 2002 Toyota Echo. I can't really afford over $100 per hour to have the dealer diagnose the issue.

I've got a 2002 Toyota Echo with 135 000 KMS. Three weeks ago the engine light came on. Using my Ultra Gauge I retrieved the following notorious codes P0440, P0441, P0446. After hours of reading I figured the charcoal canister needed to be replaced at some point in time. Many people report having these codes/engine light on for years without issue.

Then 2 days ago I went to fuel up and the gas pump would just click off after only pumping about half a litre of gas. It just kept clicking off. This is a major issue because if I can't fuel the car, then it's useless, lol.

I love the car, it gets babied, and returns 50MPG to me!

So, is this refueling issue also related to the canister? The weather was very hot and humid when I tried to fuel the car so I am wondering if that may contribute? I tried refueling at a couple different stations and no change. The weather is still very hot and humid though.

I have checked alllllll the EVAP connections on the canister under the car. Check for spider webs, blew compressed air through all the lines, checked the VSV on the intake, inspected those lines, inspected the fuel filler neck and could not find any holes or leaks.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd hate to buy a canister, $400+, to still have a refueling problem.

• 1 year later...

How much did you pay for a used canister? I have the same issue. I get P0446 went valve. A new canister cost 250.00 but, I can't find a used one. I took off the hoses from the canister and blew them out. the one hose from the filler neck to the canister had a lot of dirt, which created the infamous gas pump shut off. But, after re-asswembling, reset the code, 80 miles later I get the check engine light again. I'm trying to find replacement valves for the canister but, can't. Looks like I have to replace canister but, I'm trying to find a used one.

Can you tell me where you picked up your used one?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a brand new OEM canister from toyota. I still get the odd engine light and one evap code when I fill the tank to high but it goes out after a few hundred kms. It also tends to come on in humid weather. It's Wierd. Hope that helps.